Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to charge for making a quilt. >

How to charge for making a quilt.

How to charge for making a quilt.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:06 AM

I wanted to add, one of the big reasons I haven't (and probably wouldn't) make a quilt on commission, is because I know I would have a difficult time asking the amount I felt it was really worth.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:37 AM

There are those of us who just wouldn't make a quilt for pay because we would think we couldn't charge or the person wouldn't pay for what it really costs to make one. I make quilts for the enjoyment I get from it and to do it for money could take the enjoyment from it....too many hard to please people or really can't afford a hand made quilt. If a friend asks me to make a quilt I just couldn't put a price on it but would probably do it for the enjoyment. I make all sorts of quilts which I give away and that is how I want to keep it.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:44 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by beckalou View Post
This gal is not a co-worker, simply an acquaintance that I have known for 35 plus years. I have very little interaction with her except on Facebook. I posted a picture of a quilt in progress, and she private messaged me to see if I would make a quilt for her out of her deceased father in laws dress shirts. Her family is very crafty, her dad rents tables at craft shows for his wood crafts, her mom & sister used to make & sell cakes for every occasion. So she knows how much work goes into hand crafted items. That being said, I will name a price for the quilt. If she wants to pay the price, fine. If not, so be it. No feelings hurt here, I don't normally make quilts for others. Just thought I might make some extra cash as things are pretty tight financially for me right now.
I think your plan is a good one. Making multiple quilts to sell as a business is one thing, making one as a gift for someone is another, and making one - just one - to get a little extra cash is still another thing.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:15 AM
Banned

Get a nice fat deposit before you even start.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:25 AM

And figure in the amount of time it will take to prepare the shirts. De bone is what it is called.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:27 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Figure the cost of all supplies you will need to use, including batting, backing, and thread.
Figure how many hours you think making it will take, then multiple that by how much per hour you are willing to work for.

I don't care if the requester is your own family, GET IT WRITING with dates AND signatures after a price and time frame is settled upon! Write this on your eyeballs before you even talk to her again.

Jan in VA
Old 08-05-2014, 01:50 PM

First of all, unless the person to whom you are making the quilt for makes hand made items, he/she doesn't have a clue what goes into making a quilt. That person would never understand the time that is involved and the total cost of what is required. I quit long time ago making things for gifts. They look at them and say something like "thanks". It is cheaper for me to buy something made in a foreign country. So don't expect to be paid what it's worth.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:20 PM

I agree with SquirrelFood. Definitely get 1/3 to 1/2 of the total price up front for a custom quilt like that (should cover all materials & a good chunk of your labor). Who else is going to want to buy a quilt made with another man's used shirts? And yes, for custom you want to get it in writing. I will accept emails from people (remember I also have the deposit & I spell it out that if the customer has been okay with each progress report then I expect full payment when the quilt is finished or I keep the deposit & the quilt -- I do this because I will then have to spend my time & energy trying to market it on etsy or whatnot and whoever is buying it is not getting a custom quilt anymore so it's not going to be worth as much to them).

As far as pricing goes -- make sure to include everything. Yes, fabric can be pricey, but it is by no means the only expense in making a quilt. Add up the cost of thread, needles, rotary blades (if you are cutting through dress shirts, you will definitely need a pack or two of these -- or else plan to take your scissors to be sharpened a couple times), fabric marker(s), spray starch, laundry detergent, batting, binding/border/sashing fabric(s), electricity & the wear and tear on your machine and reusable products (pins, clips, mat, etc). Beyond that, I would caution you to consider adding on a bit for unforeseen expenses. Especially when it comes to non-quilting people describing used fabrics that belonged to someone now deceased, they tend to describe them in much better condition than reality. I have specifically asked if there were any holes, tears, thread pulls & am always told "no, there are none of those problems". Then I look at the thing & find 6 holes up to 1.5" in wide. Or some fabrics have just been washed to death & cannot be used without first stabilizing them, and so forth. Maybe this lady you know will be the exception to that, but I wouldn't count on it.

Once you've calculated costs, you might check around on the web for prices at some LQS's in your area. I know mine post what they charge for thread changes, batting prep, custom quilting per square inch (I charge 5 cents per sq in), making & attaching binding, and hourly rates for piecing and other work. I've personally done sewing for less than $10/hour for non-family members and just felt awful about myself; when I hit that stage in quilting where you have to force yourself to push through, I started really regretting cheating myself on the price and resenting the amount of work I was doing for less than what the kid at McDonald's gets paid to ask me if I want fries with my order. Of course, your hourly rate is entirely up to you, but my own rule now is not to do work even for friends for less than $15/hour and usually I charge more. The only time I will cut them a break is if there is a particular skill I really want to practice that their project would let me practice (without having to spend my own money on materials).

Probably more information than you wanted to know, but I hope it helps. Happy quilting!
Old 08-05-2014, 02:58 PM

A friend of mine that has a small fabric and longarm quilting shop, gets $100 for a throw.., these are all machine pieced and machine quilted.. hope that helps....for an idea.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:24 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Figure the cost of all supplies you will need to use, including batting, backing, and thread.
Figure how many hours you think making it will take, then multiple that by how much per hour you are willing to work for.

I don't care if the requester is your own family, GET IT WRITING with dates AND signatures after a price and time frame is settled upon! Write this on your eyeballs before you even talk to her again.

Jan in VA
ESPECIALLY with family -----------------------