Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Starch, a big thank you to you all. >

Starch, a big thank you to you all.

Starch, a big thank you to you all.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:43 AM
Power Poster

What a great looking quilt, it's going to be beautiful.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:49 PM

I'm glad you used starch and found it to your liking.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:17 PM

I'm so glad I found out about using washable glue. Currently sewing up several scrub tops for my daughter who just graduated from nursing school. I use glue to put on the V-neck band and pockets. Makes it so much easier to top stitch and no bent pins or getting stuck! I love this board!
Old 08-06-2014, 05:36 PM

Love your quilt top! I learned about using Sta-Flo starch here. What a difference heavy starch makes! I even heavily starch my jelly rolls, charm squares, and layer cakes. I put a towel over my ironing board when I am doing the heavy starching to protect my ironing board cover. If I need to get out a wrinkle in a sewn block, I use Mary Ellen's Best Press.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:06 PM

Nice tips. I hadn't hear about Mr. Clean erase.

Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter View Post
I use a piece of muslin over my ironing surface to protect it when starching. When it gets dirty I throw it in the washer and use it again.

I bought a spray bottle at Sally's beauty supply store that is really designed for hair spray and use it for starch. It is a much finer mist than you get from other spray bottles. The starch or Best Press lasts longer and your fabric doesn't get so wet in spots like with other sprayers.

To clean my iron from starch build up I use a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (or other similar brand). Wet it and use on a cold iron. Works great. I have a shiny sole plate on my iron. I'm not sure how it would work with a coated sole plate.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK View Post
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...l-t251324.html

Just an added tip, don't know how I found it, but this works wonderfully when using starch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKRIjKzjJmc
Thank you! I am an avid user of starch - I use Stay Flo from WalMart - but I've never seen this trick. Ya learn something new every day on this board!
Old 08-08-2014, 10:12 AM

I've been thinking lately that starch is my new BFF! I so totally agree with others' comments about it. I just finished making 36 scrappy Flying Geese blocks and couldn't have done nearly as good a job on them without starch. Since I wanted each one to be different, no two alike, I had to do them singly. Starching the fabric helped me cut and sew them precisely. I also used a straight-stitch throat plate, as well as leaders and enders to chain piece the blocks. The points turned out nice and sharp and I'm really happy with them. I credit the starch a lot for the results.

I am no working on a quilt for DH for Christmas which includes some pieces from his father's shirts. These have been washed a lot and the fabric is really soft but I an starch the pieces and they have good body and handle really well.

Happy quilting!