Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
best white fabric to use on a modern quilt? >

best white fabric to use on a modern quilt?

best white fabric to use on a modern quilt?

Old 08-07-2014, 01:39 PM

Hancock Fabrics has a lovely white whose brand name starts with a W. Can't remember the full name, but it's inexpensive, washes up beautifully, and after washing seems to feel thicker. I use it in all of my quilts.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:05 PM

I've liked Southern Belle when the design had a lot of seams and the Kona felt too thick. The stuff I bought was tightly woven and a bit finer than the kona.

Hugs,
charlotte
Old 08-07-2014, 03:52 PM
Power Poster

I love Kona cotton white. I buy from a online quilt store such as Fabric Shack (save on shipping) and Hancock of Paducah (20% off sale) The quality is not the same at the large fabric chain.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:37 PM

Kona whites are nice. I use them all the time. Lately I started using a slightly off white/cream so that I can use my natural batting. I think I will be permanently switching to this shade.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:57 PM

I don't like sewing with Kona cottons- please don't boo me! I like a good quality white muslin. I am in love with it! I have not gone out looking for it lately because I don't really like white.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:33 PM

I usually use Kona White or Kona Snow. Recently, I made a quilt that used 4 different shades of Kona white. In addition to White and Snow, there was Bleached White. I don't remember the name of the fourth white. I get my Kona White or Snow fabrics from Hobby Lobby with the 40% off coupon. For Kona colors that my local Hobby a Lobby does not stock, I usually order from Fabrics.com. I am careful to check that it is Kona cotton when I buy from Hobby Lobby.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by franc36 View Post
I usually use Kona White or Kona Snow. Recently, I made a quilt that used 4 different shades of Kona white. In addition to White and Snow, there was Bleached White. I don't remember the name of the fourth white. I get my Kona White or Snow fabrics from Hobby Lobby with the 40% off coupon. For Kona colors that my local Hobby a Lobby does not stock, I usually order from Fabrics.com. I am careful to check that it is Kona cotton when I buy from Hobby Lobby.
Was it ivory? I love to use Snow or Ivory.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:38 AM

I use Kona white and Kona if I want a little off white, I use the 'ready for dying'
Old 08-09-2014, 04:01 AM

Default Kona is on sale at Hancock Fabrics right now

Originally Posted by ArtsyOne View Post
Hancock Fabrics has a lovely white whose brand name starts with a W. Can't remember the full name, but it's inexpensive, washes up beautifully, and after washing seems to feel thicker. I use it in all of my quilts.
Hancock Fabrics cotton Wendover is nice and thick. I've used it several times.

However, now through Aug. 13 Hancock Fabrics has Kona Cotton at 30% off for $6.29/yard, even cheaper than Wendover. They have 42 colors of Kona...several choices of white. (Just a note for those that don't know, Hancock Fabrics is a chain and is not Hancocoks of Paducah). You can order online. www.hancockfabrics.com
Old 08-09-2014, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Tashana View Post
Kona whites are nice. I use them all the time. Lately I started using a slightly off white/cream so that I can use my natural batting. I think I will be permanently switching to this shade.
I always use the patterned white on white, ecru on white, white on ecru for my background color or sashing. There are modern patterns, Christmas patterns, stars, flowers, whatever. I don't like plain white. And I did use Kona once when I was making a quilt and found the threads frayed and I just didn't like it. I usually get my solids from JoAnn or Hancock and have never had a problem. Edie