Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Razor >

Razor

Razor

Old 03-16-2007, 07:33 AM

Ok I bought a knife designed for walpaper, it will cut slice and trim ,even cloth and vinyl and metalic, .
the handle is $2.82 and a box of 100 blades is S5.98; these are a box of single edge razor blades. I always slip when I cut with the rotary cutter. I gave this a try and it works like a dream.,and no slipping. It will be less expensive to change blades and therefore I will not have to use much pressure and my cutting board will sustain less wear and tear.
They are the same type of blade only one is round.
I went to Lowes and they also had a selection of olfa cutters for different uses., and I won a ten dollar gift cirtificate for the next time I shop, so my purchase was free with change back.
I would like to get the same knife with a tilting head. which they were out of at this time
This is not a box cutter and is not designed for cardboard, nor is it a utility knife. It is designed for wall covering, which in most cases ,the quality stuff is not just paper.
The reasons for wanting something better is not just financial, I hate junk; when it has a sharp blade and falls apart in your hands; it is time for me to find something That works better for me'. I think less pieces and moving parts is better.... I don't need the fancy mousetraps. I hope this works out cause I LIKE it :roll: :lol:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-54103.jpe
Views:	86
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	54103  
Old 03-16-2007, 07:57 AM

Ruth, isn't there drag when you are trying to cut that way? I thought that the rolling blade was designed to prevent the drag or resistance when cutting fabric.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:10 AM

No drag that I have noticed yet, but of course I only cut for 20 minutes. I would think the drag would come from dull blades. At 5 cents each you can change blades more.often Only time will tell, as I use it more.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:14 AM

HI ladies I see you are talking about rotary cutters ,I have tried most of them and my favorite is the Olfa ,next to that I would choose the Friskars. Hope this helps ,oh yes the Olfa is ergonomicaly correct,easy to use
bye for now Wilma
Old 03-16-2007, 10:42 AM

How many layers of fabric will the wallpaper cutter go through?
I like the look of it.

I'm afraid I would have trouble keeping the blade accurate against the ruler edge. Even a 45mm rotary blade slips on me sometimes if I'm cutting lots of layers. Maybe I'm just clumsy.

I tried a shop knife my husband had once, and it nicked the edge of my rulers, so I went back to rotary. If I remember right it used straight razor blades and not the pointed box-cutter kind.

Do you slant the blade tip a little towards the ruler when you cut?
Old 03-16-2007, 11:06 AM

I stacked some fabric scraps 6 thick and it went through easily, and I do slant it. So far it hasn't slipped. I think I have more trouble with my ruler slipping. The cutting board seems to be ok to. Now I have to see how much cutting a blade can take.
Has anyone found anything to put on back of rulers to keep them from slipping. I know there are some new ones out, but other than slipping a little I really like the ones I have.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:19 AM

I stacked six layers of scraps and it went through easy,and yes I do slant it . So far it hasn't slipped. My big problem is rulers slipping, has anyone found a way to stop that. I know they have new ones that don't slip but I'm attached to the ones I have and really like them, other than the slipping. Could you maybe put something on it?
Some shop knives can cut nails off so be careful. Thats why I talked to one of the managers at Lowes,{just happened to be my son}, and fabric and wallcoverings are very similar.

The first message wasn't appearing.........so I wrote it again
Old 03-16-2007, 11:51 AM

they make little sand paper dots to stick on the ruler and it grips the fabric
Old 03-16-2007, 11:52 AM

Ruth there are some little silicone dots that you can get maybe at Walmart and stick them to your rulers. They are clear and come on like a little piece of cardboard. Just peel them off of that and stick them to the underside of your ruler. :)
Old 03-16-2007, 12:16 PM

And now for my nickel's worth:
I use mainly Olfa 45mm rotary cutters. I have never had one come apart yet. 8) I especially like the curved handle one that the blade comes out when you grip/squeeze the handle - as soon as you put it down, the blade retracts. I tried a Dritz - hated it! It just doesn't fit my hand right. My first was also the straight handled Fiskars - only problem I had with that one was at that time the safety lock was a sort of push button molded as part of the handle & it snapped off! Then I had to stick my finger into the handle to put the safety on. It was already several years old by then, but I thought I would write to them & let them know what happened - and they sent me a new rotary cutter! :thumbup:
I generally get my blades in a 10 pack from Hancock's of Padukah online, about half the price of JoAnn's. And even tho' I try to remember to change my blade after I've been using it a lot, I'm still always surprised as how much easier it is with a fresh, new blade! lol :-D
Good luck with that wallpaper cutter Ruth - it looks too scary to me! I'm afraid I would put it down, then pick it up by the blade end, and I don't have enough saliva to get all that blood out of my project!
sue