Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Brother SE400 and a Free Motion Quilting Foot... >

Brother SE400 and a Free Motion Quilting Foot...

Brother SE400 and a Free Motion Quilting Foot...

Old 08-11-2014, 02:29 PM

Default Brother SE400 and a Free Motion Quilting Foot...

Hi Everyone. So excited to be here. I am very new to quilting, but am loving every minute of it!! They were right at the LQS when they told me it was very addicting... LOL>>

I am taking a Free Motion class on Craftsy. Purchased the FMQ foot for my Brother SE400 (Love this machine).. I have dropped the feed dogs, installed the foot and all ready to go. But my foot goes up and down with the needle? Is this normal?

I am so very new to sewing and quilting.. I have no idea whats up and whats down.. LOL>

God Bless;
Karen
Old 08-11-2014, 02:39 PM

Okay I'm confused.... you've started 2 almost identical threads. To clarify - are you asking two different questions about two different feet?

A quilting foot SHOULD go up and down with the needle. As you quilt, you're moving the fabric. The foot will clamp down on the fabric and hold it still as the needle penetrates it. If the foot doesn't hold it still, you will move the fabric as the needle goes down and bad things can happen, such as bending your needle, breaking your needle, or messing up the timing on your machine.

I'm thinking you might want to find some beginning quilt classes in your town, or at the very least, go YouTubing and watch quilting videos. Leah Day is a good start. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...72938740,d.cGU
Old 08-11-2014, 02:44 PM

This is my first post.. I posted the one that says walking foot, then realized it was wrong. I am trying to delete it now, but can't seem to find that button yet .... LOL>> The correct one is the free motion quilting foot question.

When I watch the Leah Day video's her Free Motion Quilting foot does not move. It does not move up and down. Mine is moving up and down making if difficult for me to freely move the fabric.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:06 PM
Power Poster

You might have purchased a 'hopping' foot, which does go up and down, allowing you to move the fabric as you stitch. A hopping foot is appropriate for FMQ. Make sure that you don't have a walking foot (which also goes up and down a bit) as this is used for a different purpose. They look totally different.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:45 PM

I didn't realize that some of them move and some are stationary. Maybe I need to practice some more. I really panicked when I noticed her's was not moving..and mine was... I was thinking that's why I was having such a hard time... LOL> I have a Brother SA187 Open Toe Quilting Foot.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:10 PM

Have you lowered the feed dogs? If not, you might try quilting with the feed dogs down. Some people prefer to leave them up, but if you're having a hard time and find yourself fighting the fabric, then lower the feed dogs and see if it becomes easier.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by KarenNC View Post
This is my first post.. I posted the one that says walking foot, then realized it was wrong. I am trying to delete it now, but can't seem to find that button yet .... LOL>> The correct one is the free motion quilting foot question.

When I watch the Leah Day video's her Free Motion Quilting foot does not move. It does not move up and down. Mine is moving up and down making if difficult for me to freely move the fabric.
I think leah day modifies her feet to not move. I have a brother and prefer the moving one SA187 over the SA129 darning foot that is also movable. I also have a closed toe that doesn't move but don't like it as much on my brother but I read an article in machine quilters magazine why it might be beneficial to have both for different purposes.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:03 PM

Like Dolphyngirl said-- Leah Day modifies her feet to not move. She states that some need to be broken to work correctly. She uses a rubber band at the top of the foot to make the foot "hover" ontop of the fabric instead of hopping. I did use her method to break one of my quilting feet for my singer machine. It really did make it work alot better and I could see what I was doing alot better. Good Luck!
Old 08-12-2014, 07:40 AM

Thank you for the information! I think I will try "breaking the foot". I'll let ya'll know how it goes..