Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting your own EPP papers? >

Cutting your own EPP papers?

Cutting your own EPP papers?

Old 08-14-2014, 11:40 AM

I use freezer paper. I use a highlighter to mark the paper side of the freezer paper before I cut out the shape I need. The water soluble marker does not work well on the wax side of the paper. I just make a bunch of squiggles on the paper side. Saves my iron. If you need the paper thicker, just iron two pieces of freezer paper together before you cut the shape you need. I use an old clean cutting board. I put the wax side down, then the wax side of the second piece of freezer paper down to the top(paper side) and iron together. Hope this makes sense.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:44 PM

I use those little annoying advertising cards that fall out of your magazine to draw my pieces on. If you have trouble with accuracy, do you have the pattern drawing....could you trace it once... and then using an unthreaded needle, trace the shape on your paper & then use an old blade and cut with your rotary cutter along the holes?
Old 08-15-2014, 03:06 AM

Check out www.incompetech.com/graphpaper they have MANY shapes though am not sure about kite shape.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:58 AM

I just took a Fiskars punch to a bunch of cardstock I had on hand. Worked great to get myself a whole pile of hexi templates. Not sure where you'd get a kite shape, though.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by FurzaFlyin View Post
I use freezer paper. I use a highlighter to mark the paper side of the freezer paper before I cut out the shape I need. The water soluble marker does not work well on the wax side of the paper. I just make a bunch of squiggles on the paper side. Saves my iron. If you need the paper thicker, just iron two pieces of freezer paper together before you cut the shape you need. I use an old clean cutting board. I put the wax side down, then the wax side of the second piece of freezer paper down to the top(paper side) and iron together. Hope this makes sense.
Thanks for replying. My question is how you get the shape of the template accurate enough?
Old 08-20-2014, 11:21 AM

I also bought a Fiskar's hexagon punch (EX Lg) and it works great. Don't know if they some in different shapes.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:25 AM

Fiskars should read this thread and come out with a line of EPP punches! You hear that, Fiskars people??
Old 08-20-2014, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
Fiskars should read this thread and come out with a line of EPP punches! You hear that, Fiskars people??
I emailed fiskars when I was thinking about buying the xl hexie punch to ask what size the hexies were as I wanted to use it for EPP. I think they got a bit confused by the email though as their response told me that I couldn't cut fabric with it! Made me chuckle! I really think they should bring out a range for EPP, perhaps we should bombard them with emails :-)
Old 08-20-2014, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Sisty88 View Post
I emailed fiskars when I was thinking about buying the xl hexie punch to ask what size the hexies were as I wanted to use it for EPP. I think they got a bit confused by the email though as their response told me that I couldn't cut fabric with it! Made me chuckle! I really think they should bring out a range for EPP, perhaps we should bombard them with emails :-)
LOL...I picture them in their office somewhere..."Look at this crazy lady, she's trying to cut quilt pieces out with a punch!"

Sizzix and Cricut and all those scrapbooking die companies should look at this too. I should email them all!
Old 08-20-2014, 01:34 PM

The XL Fiskars punch cuts hexies with 1" sides.