Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you buy?? >

What do you buy??

What do you buy??

Old 08-14-2014, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingbuddy View Post
I've never seen a 70% off coupon in my life. Aren't all JoAnns the same.?

and Nammie what do you do with headliner fabric?
Joanns here recently had a one day off 70% coupon for the notions wall but came a day late in the mail as had the last 2 flyers. I really need to talk with them if happens again. I buy needles, stencils, books and scissors there. I look at discounted fabrics at my LQSs for backing fabric.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:28 AM
Swap Hosts

I shop for everything at Joann's. I like so much of their fabric and have no problem with the quality. You can't beat the prices if you use the coupons diligently. In general, I only shop at Joann and (although not recently) at Walmart for fabrics and go to a couple of small wholesale outlets for lace trims and lace fabrics. There was one LQS nearby but it seems to have closed.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:11 AM

I shop at both, batting and notions from joanns with coupons, sometimes fabric. if you look hard enough you can find some nice fabric there
Old 08-14-2014, 10:23 AM

I buy most of my specialty type stuff at either JoAnn's or Hancock Fabrics - - batting, PUL, interfacing, Timtex, etc......I just think they have a better selection on that stuff than what the LQS carries and I can usually find a coupon to make the trip even more worthwhile.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:34 AM

At Joann's I buy fabric, knitting books, quilting books, needlepoint kits, counted cross stitch kits, batting, yarn, magazines. Just to name a few!!
Old 08-14-2014, 12:00 PM

I buy a lot of notions and tools at Joans but most of my fabric online or at the LQS. Sometimes I browse the fabrics but don't buy much of it there
Old 08-14-2014, 12:06 PM

I like shopping Joann's for trinkets/tools as well as for certain notions, plus their rolls of cotton batting with a 50% off coupon is cheaper than any of my LQS's by far!
Rulers, bias tape makers, marking pens, pins, etc are all cheaper at Joann's as long as they're marked 40-50% off. If I need to get notions like ribbons, rick-rack or buttons, I buy those at Joann. I do a lot of applique work, so I buy my Wonder-Under there -- LQS doesn't even sell that. And, of course, their Warm & Natural batting.

The only things I really try to steer clear of are their fabric & threads. I used to shop exclusively at Joann (fabric is much better quality than Hobby Lobby) until I brought home fabric from LQS for the first time. I was hooked! Too many of the warmer colors of Joann fabric are so thin you can't use them for applique because you see the underneath fabric right through the applique so I used to have to layer or fuse with muslin to make them work.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:57 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Originally Posted by CookyIN View Post
I have a real love-hate relationship with Joann. I do shop there -- and have quite a bit lately -- but only because of great coupon buys. The 70% off notions wall mentioned, plus I also scored quilting notions at 50% plus an extra 20% off. But... they've trained me now to want at least 50% off or more, so that's what I wait for. Unfortunately, as others have mentioned, their prices seem to be creeping higher to offset the discount games they play, so I'm going to have to keep an eye on that.

this is exactly my feeling.. I have never been happy with the fabric there, personally I dont want to waste my time 'searching' for better fabrics BUT I do buy stabilizers and all kinds of Pellon products and notions: rulers, blades, Ginghers, , thread, and the like ONLY WITH A COUPON and or ift in sale and i can still use my 10-20% discount on sale items.. However I do have a LQS that is HALF the cost of Joannes fabrics and MUCH better quality.. so Joannes for me is an IN AND OUT shopping..

i get mailers, emails, and online codes so when i go in i have a min of 10-20 coupons at a time to use.. I grab what i need and head out..
Old 08-14-2014, 01:30 PM

I buy Warm and Natural batting, notions, Muslin, and stabilizer. Sometimes fabric but rarely and always with a coupon. Rulers and rotary cutters and blades at 50% off can't be beat.
Sue
Old 08-14-2014, 05:08 PM

I buy from my local quilt shop or online mostly.