Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2014 UFO Therapy Thread - Sister Thread to 2014 UFO Challenge of the Month >

2014 UFO Therapy Thread - Sister Thread to 2014 UFO Challenge of the Month

2014 UFO Therapy Thread - Sister Thread to 2014 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 08-12-2014, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

Thanks, Emma. I fold the 3 elements in quarters and drape over a bed one layer at a time centering (or trying to....) at the cross intersections, and spraying after each layer. I use my Bernina Virtuosa 150--could sure use the extra 2" your harp has...Probably takes about the same amount of time as I'm constantly smoothing the wrinkles out before I call it good.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:12 AM

The last one I did, I got lucky. I used spray adhesive, and made my son help me. Took us about an hour to sandwich it. It was throw size though.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:11 AM

Dusty's Mom: As I continue my marathon, I turn green with envy. A second set of hands would probably be a great help because I spend a lot of time circling the project making sure that everything is taunt. If the layers were all spot on and all I had to do is sandwich a couple hours could probably be cut off but that never seems to happen. Something always has to be pieced or in some way adjusted. Holding at the half way mark, three done three to go. Needed to take a day off just for a change of scene. Back to it today to see if I can get another one done. New resolution; never will I let 6 quilts back-up again.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:09 PM

Emma, I really don't know what I'd have done without his help on the last 3 projects I did. The baby quilt, the playmat, and the maze quilt I made for the first home decor swap. At 21, he wasn't happy about it when I asked him to help me, but he does point out when I miss something or it's off a little. Right now I think I have 6 I haven't started! I don't know what I'm going to do when he leaves the nest & I have to sandwich again.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:15 AM

Nothing completed to post, but have been working on a few. I almost talked myself into going ahead & machine quilting to finish the border on the 30yo Trip Around the World quilt after I worked on it pretty steadily for a couple weeks & my hands were starting to cramp up again. But decided yesterday after giving it a few weeks rest that I will attempt to do a couple rows of the border straight lines a day. Maybe if I don't overdo I will still get it done - by hand - w/o putting myself back in the wrist brace. I took the Farmers Wife off the Tin Lizzie to put on the Lady of the Lotus. Discovered in order to quilt the many straight lines required on that quilt, I needed to order a couple longarm rulers, which then require an extension table to use more successfully (which hasn't arrived yet). But I have started some of the corner quilting, having to pick out some stitches & adjust tension settings as a start up (using darker colors on the top & white on the bottom) And have decided on a different quilting design for the white spaces than shown in the directions - it' an older pattern book & tho pretty, her design does not fill as much of the space & is a hand quilting pattern that I can't turn into a continuous line design. In doing so, have spent too much time on the computer on places like Pinterest getting ideas... Have completed 6 more of the original 12 BOM's from 2010 (don't even remember where I downloaded them from) - & am playing w/some possible layouts as 12 - 12" blocks will not a bed quilt make. Catching up slowly w/the January startup of the Sylvia Bridal Sampler blocks & received two kits I've decided I'd like to make for two of the kids - tho haven't done much more than look thru the fabrics sent for them (Never ordered a kit before). Slowly, but surely these UFO's & WIPs will become completed quilts.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

Good for you auntjo! But don't you love the "domino effect"? Discovered in order to quilt the many straight lines required on that quilt, I needed to order a couple longarm rulers, which then require an extension table to use more successfully (which hasn't arrived yet). No wonder why we end up with UFO's!
Old 08-15-2014, 07:28 PM

I just about have another UFO done. I'm in the quilting phase of it already. Some (I should say a large tote chuck full of) fabric was given to me last fall and there were a few blocks started. The blocks were a little bit on the crooked side so I undid the darn things and restitched them. I also re-cut the pieces that had been cut for more blocks and pieced those together too. Then I stacked the blocks and put them away. This UFO has been much easier to tackle than the last. I've done some outlining stitches and now I'm using my embroidery feature and hooping the heck out of this poor quilt. I've done 13 blocks so far and have at least that or more to do. But I'm seeing the end in sight with this one too! Feels good!
Old 08-16-2014, 05:14 AM

Rhonda: You mentioned that you use your embroidery feature, I assume that you are using the quilt as you go method, is that right. Could you explain a little how you outline, do you program your machine?
Old 08-17-2014, 01:05 AM

Emma, I wish I could program my machine! I use motifs already programmed and available. This one happens to be a pattern that comes with the machine and I did not transfer it from a memory stick. The blocks are a simple rail design with 4 strips 2.5 x 9.5 in a finished block. That was the size they ended up being after all my trimming. Each block repeats itself in color. I arranged them in a zigzag pattern from the top down and pieced them together. I outlined the whole quilt following 2 color strips an orange and a white by sewing next to the seam. That left a rectangle approx. 9.5 x 5. of checked yellow and a soft yellow with a small print of little flowers. This rectangle is what I am hooping and quilting by embroidery. This is the first time I have done a whole quilt this way and it's working. I am not completely satisfied with the embroidery as a way of quilting but this time it's what I decided to do. And it's getting done!
Old 08-17-2014, 04:45 AM

Rhonda: Trying new things is part of what keeps me so enthralled with quilting. I would love to see some close up pictures. True Confession: I have a modest embroidery machine that has never been used. Also a Christmas quilt that came out very uninteresting. Would like to experiment with Christmas themed oversized motifs or applique to liven it up.