Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
It costs What...do you think? >

It costs What...do you think?

It costs What...do you think?

Old 08-17-2014, 07:25 AM

"I no longer want to sell my time for a price; but, I do want to use it as wisely as possible. My quilts may not bring thousands of dollars but I love producing them-that is without price."

Well said quilterpurpledog!
Old 08-17-2014, 08:05 AM

Reminds me of my middle school home ec/cooking/sewing class. We had to keep track of very project we made. For instance, if I made a skirt, I had to note how much yardage I bought, cost per yard, thread, needles and time spent on the project. My friends and I have discussed for the fun of it, to keep track of our next quilt project. I am however mindful of how much I do spent, since I have limited income. But I have LOTS of fabric, which I bought when I did work.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:07 AM

Now I know my quilting is worth more than a therapist. I just will keep getting lost in the stress buster
Old 08-17-2014, 11:44 AM
Power Poster

I can believe it, as 300 hours is reasonable for all the cutting,piecing, pressing, quilting and binding that goes into a quilt. I do realize that I could never get paid a lot for my time, but quilting is my passion, my joy and quilting also helps me from doing in certain people who aggravate me. I don't mean that literally, but my quilting keeps me relatively sane, and when I don't quilt, according to my DH I get very cranky and we can't have that now, can we? LOL.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:14 PM

I quilt for the fun of it, usually give the quilts away
Old 08-17-2014, 12:58 PM

I have gifted all the quilts I have not kept for myself, except one. I was requested to make a quilt for a silent auction and was told I would be given a letter for tax purposes as to the value so it could be used as a deduction on our tax return. I thought that would be fair and it was for a cause I support, so I made the quilt. It was a throw, machine pieced, STD with my DSM and embellished with some other stitching. I also took time to hand sew the binding and some beads. When I turned it over, they said thanks, asked what the value was (I told them between $250-$300) and what I thought the starting bid should be (I suggested at least $50-$75). To my great surprise, I received a letter several weeks later stating that my donated quilt, which they valued at $100 for tax purposes, had started at $25 and finished at $60! The next year when they asked me to make another quilt for the auction, I had to decline. I enjoyed making the quilt, had no problem donating my time and materials and wanted it to be a good money-maker for this group, but they undervalued it because it was "home-made" and not a purchased item with a price tag attached.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:07 PM

Jan in VA. I love this. I think it's pretty darn accurate.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:58 PM

After making my 1st quilt, I realized making a quilt was a labor of love. One will never get money back when quilting so I just do it for the fun of it.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:21 PM

I've mentioned it before, this is what I just started doing after seeing someone here post about it...I bought a non digital small electric clock plugged into a power strip, when I start on a project I hit the on switch & work, when I'm done I turn off the switch, once it gets to 12 hours I write that on my cost list for that quilt & start the clock over. I'm curious to see how much time & money I use when making a quilt. I don't add any cost if it's fabric from my stash.
Jeri
Old 08-18-2014, 10:24 AM

When I think of how much the trout we had the other night cost . . . that my husband caught. Let's not confuse a hobby with a business.

Last edited by Maggieloe; 08-18-2014 at 10:26 AM.