Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
martelli rotary cutters and blades advice please >

martelli rotary cutters and blades advice please

martelli rotary cutters and blades advice please

Old 08-19-2014, 12:26 AM
saf

Default martelli rotary cutters and blades advice please

Like many of us I have arthritis which is making cutting more painful than comfortable despite sharp blades. I have been thinking of changing from an Olfa to a Martelli cutter. I have also just been given a present of 10 new blades from my husband who believes that I have been trying to make do so I have more to spend on fabric. Not so. my question is will I be able to use these blades in a Martelli cutter? I certainly don't want to have to buy more and waste the new one I have.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:32 AM
Administrator

martelli cutters require martelli blades.
however, since everyone i know who uses martelli cutters raves about how wonderful they are, it will probably be worthwhile for you to invest in one + blades.
(see if you can find somebody who already has one so you can do a test drive first.)

if you do switch brands - and if you haven't yet opened the package - maybe you can find a shop that will let you trade your olfa blades for fabric. that's a long shot, but there'd be no harm in asking.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:31 AM
Power Poster

I have a Martelli cutter and use Martelli blades. I also have an Olfa. For me, switching back and forth between the two offers the most comfort. Although I really like the Martelli it seems that switching positions works really well.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:35 AM

I have a Martelli rotary cutter, and I use blades in it other than Martelli. They work fine. I have no problem. In fact, I have a left-handed Martelli rotary cutter. It makes a difference for me in the maneuvering and pressure needed on the rotary blade.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:40 AM
dms

I have a Martelli and what I like best is how easy it is to change blades. Also, I use other blades besides the Martelli. Good luck with making your decision.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:42 AM
Power Poster

I switch to using the Prym Dritz Sensitive Rotary cutter. I am not a big fan of Dritz, but my best friend told me it helped her. I also switch between this one and the Olfa 28mm.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:17 AM

I agree with PaperPrincess, I also switch between the Martelli and Olfa. Changing the position of my hand brings the most relief.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:16 AM

I would agree with seeing if you can find one to test drive first. I know another quilter who absolutely hates the martelli cutter.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post
martelli cutters require martelli blades.
however, since everyone i know who uses martelli cutters raves about how wonderful they are, it will probably be worthwhile for you to invest in one + blades.
Rather a sweeping statement...I didn't like it at all.

edited to add, do you have the curved handle olfa? That is all I use now, got rid of the straight handle ones. My hands are 62 years old and need all the comfort and care they can get. Olfa provides that.

Last edited by KalamaQuilts; 08-19-2014 at 05:27 AM.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
I would agree with seeing if you can find one to test drive first. I know another quilter who absolutely hates the martelli cutter.
I also think you should test drive it. I invested in the whole set up at a Show and don't like it at all. The safety part of the handle broke right after I got it.