Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Your Electric-to-Treadle Conversion Experience. . >
  • Your Electric-to-Treadle Conversion Experience. .

• Your Electric-to-Treadle Conversion Experience. .

Old 08-27-2014, 06:11 PM

Default Your Electric-to-Treadle Conversion Experience. .

How, when, where, what led you treadle-rs to that moment you knew you wanted a treadle machine and could see the beauty in a using a hundred-year old machine? What was your first purchase? Was it given to you, or did you spend time looking and searching for that 'first love'? What disappointed you in the new relationship and what made you stick out the hard getting-to-know-each-other stage? Did you upgrade to a newer treadle? (You know, like how a newbie camper buys a tent, then moves to a pop-up, then a fifth wheeler, then a full blown motor home..lol)
    Old 08-28-2014, 04:03 AM
    Power Poster

I got an older Singer 15-30 that had been motorized but I HCed it. I loved that machine. I found one like it on CL on a treadle. One very nice machine. I think those and the 27s are my favorites for treadle - they have nice big hand wheels.
    Old 08-28-2014, 04:33 AM

My first treadle is a White VSIII that was given to my wife and I by my maternal Grandmother in 1982. All I did with it for years was to move it from house to house and state to state.

The first treadle that I ever used is a Singer 29K70 that I bought in 2007 that had been retro-fitted with a motor. I decided to remove the motor and try it as a treadle. I’ve never went back to the motor, and I now have and use seven working treadles in my collection, including Grandma’s White VSIII. They’re a mixture of 3 industrials, 1 semi-industrial, and 3 household treadles, with several additional heads that I can swap in and out of some of the treadle stands as needed.

For me, treadles are pleasant to use for a variety of reasons. The mechanical simplicity, ease of use, quiet soothing action, nostalgic feel, and the laid-back slowed-down break from the rat-race of life feeling that I get.

I have and use a variety of electric machines, but I prefer to use my treadles every chance that I get.

CD in Oklahoma
    Old 08-28-2014, 06:43 AM

So far I haven't. I just got Ella back into working order. All that's left is to finish the lid on the cabinet and that will happen in the next week or so. She's my 1908 Singer model 27, never electrified. Ella is ready to sew and I've done a few test stitches with her but I haven't sat down to do any actual projects on her yet. So far I think I'm going to enjoy it.
    Rodney
    Old 08-28-2014, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney
    So far I haven't. I just got Ella back into working order. All that's left is to finish the lid on the cabinet and that will happen in the next week or so. She's my 1908 Singer model 27, never electrified. Ella is ready to sew and I've done a few test stitches with her but I haven't sat down to do any actual projects on her yet. So far I think I'm going to enjoy it.
    Rodney
    Ahh, in the courtship stage. . .
    Old 08-28-2014, 11:50 AM

I think you'll like her Rodney. I sure like my 1901 Singer 27K2!

There's just something I like about the "double-clutch" action of the needle to make a stitch.

CD in Oklahoma
    Old 08-28-2014, 04:13 PM
    KLO

[QUOTE=ThayerRags;6863220

For me, treadles are pleasant to use for a variety of reasons. The mechanical simplicity, ease of use, quiet soothing action, nostalgic feel, and the laid-back slowed-down break from the rat-race of life feeling that I get.

I have and use a variety of electric machines, but I prefer to use my treadles every chance that I get.

CD in Oklahoma[/QUOTE]

This statement made me want to go out to my sewing room and sit and treadle for a while. Just reading that paragraph made me feel calmer. You are right CD! Seems like we are in such a rat race all the time that it's nice to find something that "makes" us stop and breathe slowly for a bit.
    Old 08-29-2014, 06:26 AM

My father brought a Singer Red-Eye treadle in a cabinet home from an auction sale back in the late 50's. I made Barbie clothes and clothes for myself and my mom with it. Recently I oiled it up, put a new belt on it and made a quilt. I quilted the quilt onit, too. Love that huge throat space. It runs like a dream!
    Old 08-29-2014, 07:24 AM

I have a later electric model 66. I love the way it sews. I'm not surprised you love sewing on your Red Eye.
    Rodney
    Old 08-29-2014, 09:49 AM

My first people powered machine was a 1936 Singer 201-k4, a hand crank. It was made in the Kilbowie,Scotland Singer plant. I like it better as a treadle, it lives in a Singer metal straight leg cabinet.
    The first 100 year old machine is a 1914 Singer 115 treadle, took 3 months of cleaning to get her sewing again . I named her "Opal Violet" , figured she needed an old fashioned pretty name; has a huge rust spot by the Singer "S". The photo was taken pre-spa treatment. I have run her with a hand crank for the grandkids, sews wonderfully.
    Sharon in Texas
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1910 Singer 115 010.JPG
Views:	359
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	489562