Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-31-2014, 07:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
The cabinets do take up a lot of room. I'm out of room. I haven't even moved my Ambassador indoors yet because I'm not sure where to put it. I may find or build a case for it. It's out of the weather but it can't stay out there forever.
Rodney
More than once I've bought a cheap machine I didn't want just for the case it was in. Took it to the car, removed it from the case and donated the machine right back. $12 for a $40 case? You bet.

Cari
Old 08-31-2014, 07:15 PM

I can buy a machine in a cabinet for $12, that's about what I paid for this one, but the ones in the cases are generally higher, more like $25 and up. My guess is the stores recognize the ones in the cases are more sought after. I'm debating a universal cabinet where I can just drop the machines in, case and all. All I would have to do is build the cases all the same size and it would certainly be easy enough to mod an existing cabinet.
I like cases because they take up less room but prefer a machine in a cabinet to sew at.
Rodney
Old 08-31-2014, 07:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by KenmoreRulesAll View Post
As nice as some of these cabinets are (and I do like this one), they're like boat anchors or millstones. I'm already using two as night stands, one as a small desk, and I have a rec room half full of them. Veneerville.
Yep, same here. I've got 4 in the dining room, 4 cabinets and a folding free arm table in the living room, 2 cabinets in the bedroom, 2 cabinets and two tables in the sewing room and three cabinets out in the shed. Two cabinets will be going soon, but not soon enough.

Cari
Old 08-31-2014, 07:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
I can buy a machine in a cabinet for $12, that's about what I paid for this one, but the ones in the cases are generally higher, more like $25 and up. My guess is the stores recognize the ones in the cases are more sought after. I'm debating a universal cabinet where I can just drop the machines in, case and all. All I would have to do is build the cases all the same size and it would certainly be easy enough to mod an existing cabinet.
I like cases because they take up less room but prefer a machine in a cabinet to sew at.
Rodney
Now here it's just the opposite. They consider the cabinet furniture and price it plus add for the machine. Have you thought about one of those older generic folding tables? I have a free arm one and a flat bed one. The flat bed ones are designed to use a machine in it's case. There's been a couple on CL lately.

Cari
Old 09-01-2014, 05:14 AM

Skip, Trish, Miriam, and Grant Wow, it is like home to be back here! I am afraid to visit too much - you guys are so enabling, but I do so love the old machines! I am having fun reading and seeing the old machines! Nancy

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Of course I am still using the fishy quilt it is my favorite quilt and it goes eerywhere with me. You guys are the greatest.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:27 AM

Ok I see there is a Rodney with a "Rodney" machine on here now! I also have one of those - bought it from Miriam - because my DH is a Rodney too!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rodney machine closeup.JPG
Views:	446
Size:	763.3 KB
ID:	489926  
Old 09-01-2014, 06:58 AM

I am new to the site but would love to jump in. my favorites are my White Rotary and Majestic. I am legaly blind but god left me enough to quilt and sew
Old 09-01-2014, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by vintagequilter View Post
I am new to the site but would love to jump in. my favorites are my White Rotary and Majestic. I am legaly blind but god left me enough to quilt and sew
Welcome aboard. We are all enablers on here.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by vintagequilter View Post
Welcome. How wonderful that you can do what you love to do. I watched a video news story once about a totally blind quilter and was just amazed at what she can do. Goes to show where there's a will there's a way.

Cari
Old 09-01-2014, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Skip, Trish, Miriam, and Grant Wow, it is like home to be back here! I am afraid to visit too much - you guys are so enabling, but I do so love the old machines! I am having fun reading and seeing the old machines! Nancy
I know what you mean Nancy, I had to slow down on collecting machines to. I have no more room and if I get anymore I will have to add a room to the house. Of course the wife put her foot down on that idea. LOL
Skip
PS Not counting the one Miriam is bring down to me. Oh my where to put it??