Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
UK quilters - where do you buy fabric? >

UK quilters - where do you buy fabric?

UK quilters - where do you buy fabric?

Old 08-27-2014, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by purly View Post
Thank you for all the information and tipps, my lovely ladies! Today was a super busy day but I will check out every single website!

@Knitette - Thank you so much for the address of the quilting shop in Aberdeen! I googled it and it's only 15 min walking distance from the hotel where I'll be staying. I will definitely visit - hopefully she has some nice fabric on sale. 😉
As you can tell from the address, it's in a retail park, so by foot it'll seem like a car park, lol. The door is to the right of the main entrance of 'Sainsbury's' supermarket and is up the stairs. Happy shopping

PS - I don't know when you're coming, but there's a Kaffe Fasset exhibition at the Art Gallery until the end of September with quite a few of his quilts.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:07 AM

@Knitette - I will be visiting Aberdeen at the beginning of October. Unfortunately I will miss the exhibition.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:22 AM

I buy fabrics, battings, some threads and notions from the USA for delivery to France. EU allows you to import 130 Euros worth without paying duty - but you are still liable for the VAT. Here if the amount of VAT comes to less than 10 Euros they waive it - do not bother to collect. Maybe Germany does the same? So I keep value of individual orders under approx. $70-$80 (excluding shipping) and have never had to pay anything to Customs. The summer offer of Hancocks of $10 shipping per $100 has been great. Fabric Shack as mentioned above have $18 for a flat rate envelope. eQuilter.com has regular shipping discounts, one on at the moment, which is 50% off their most economical rate to ship your package.
I just bought 4 1/2 yards of a premium Kaufman fabric from Hancocks with their special $10 shipping, cost me total of $52 (39 Euros.)
Found the same fabric in a UK fabric store...... the fabric and shipping would have cost me £73 (91 Euros.)
Here is a duty calculator:
http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-im...x-calculation/
Old 08-29-2014, 11:19 PM

I buy fabric in US and if you order less than euro 22 than there is no VAT/costs added. Shipping costs for an order of less than euro 22.00 is reasonable from US to EU if sent by USPS or airmail. I have ordered at FabricDepot and EQuilter and VirginiaQuilter.I did look into UK shops but fabric is expensive same as what little and expensive one can find here in EU. USA has great choices and many colors in quality quilt cotton fabrics so I prefer to buy overseas.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:06 AM

Thanks so much for all these great leads!
Old 08-30-2014, 12:17 AM

thank you, everybody! I have to pay 19% import tax on every order that costs more than €22 (including shipping), when the costs are under €5 they waive it. I will give it a try and order next week! I will let you know how it goes.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:22 AM

another question - how do I get the special,shipping on hancocks? does it calculate it while checkingout?
Old 08-30-2014, 04:04 AM

Re Hancocks intl shipping - it does it for you. I always get partway through and start worrying it won't, but it always has! I seem to remember that the first page summarising your order has the US as default shipping and you can't change it at that point but you can later on - probably when you input your address, though I can't remember precisely. Just watch for it and it should become clear...
Old 08-30-2014, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by purly View Post
another question - how do I get the special,shipping on hancocks? does it calculate it while checkingout?
Does it automatically - I've just ordered two sale quilt backs for about a quarter of what I'd pay here! Shipping was $10.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:27 AM

thank you!!! <3