Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Sewing Machine Purchase >

New Sewing Machine Purchase

New Sewing Machine Purchase

Old 09-01-2014, 03:07 PM

Some of the items you are sewing have lots of layers, and many machines won't handle that well. My Janome won't, and I've loaned my Bernina to owners of both Pfaff and Brother who couldn't get through with theirs, either.

Yesterday I finished a hooded baby towel for the new grandson of a good friend. It's a free pattern from Shannon terry. I modified the pattern as I wanted to used a heavy flannel from Timeless Treasures rather than the Cuddle. So - hood was terry w/ flannel, bound across edge with double fold flannel. That's 6 layers right there. That was sewn into the edge of the towel - another layer each of terry and flannel for the body of the towel. Finished with double fold binding. At the juncture of the hood/hood binding/towel/binding there are 12, yes 12 layers. Two terry and 8 flannel. Bernina handled it without a hiccup.

So - while I wouldn't go with the low end Bernettes - I'd recommend a Bernina. Yes, it's going to be a stretch, and you won't be able to get a new one in your price range, but I'd be looking for a good dealer who sells used machines.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hooded towel.jpg
Views:	853
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	490016  
Old 09-01-2014, 05:11 PM

I always wanted a Bernina, ended up with a Janome and haven't looked back. Make sure you have support for learning your new machine whatever you choose.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:34 PM

There's no support for the Singer from Joann's. I have a Confidence Stylist that I bought from there several years ago. Granted she has been a workhorse and I still use her on occassion, but I love my Brother Dreamcreator. There are several other Brothers in your price range with a lot of bells and whistles. I would do like others have said and go to a dealer and check out the price range on the machines. You may be surprised.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:09 AM

I'm curious as to what it is about the school model machine you bought that is causing you problems. Perhaps all it needs is a tune up.

I would stay away from buying a machine at JoAnn's if it anything like the JoAnn's in my area. The employees there don't know as much about machines as I do so support would be nonexistent. My daughter-in-law had terrible luck with a newer Singer she bought at JoAnn's so I would also stay away from that brand based on her and others experience.

Go to several dealers and test drive machines. Go especially to the Janome dealer and talk to them about your current machine. I have a Janome and it is not clunky and sews like a dream. Check out the used models at the dealer as well. There can be some really good buys there.

I understand the emotional attachment to a machine. I recently let a 1950's Kenmore go that was my mother's and then mine. It had finally sewn its last. I'm still questioning whether I could have patched it together again and still have it.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:18 AM

I have 2 husquavarna Vikings and love them!!!
Old 09-02-2014, 03:35 AM

Have fun exploring your options. The machines today have some wonderful features and stitches. I have been sewing with Berninas for about 20 years and love them. My suggestion would be to check out the classes and support you receive with your machine . The mastery classes will help you use all the bells and whistles that come machines today.��
Old 09-02-2014, 04:37 AM

Keep in mind that in some cases you are buying the "name" rather than the actual features. Just like buying a car Ford vs. Cadillac. Be sure to get the features you would use most. It's probably best to buy from a dealer if you are a novice, which you aren't, so shop at all the dealers and then get on the internet and go to Ebay and see if there is a gently used machine of like brand/quality that someone bought and lost interest. I have purchased several that were fantastic machines that way and saved a bundle of moneyl Even bought a brand new Babylock sewing/embroidery machine with all the attachments still sealed in the plastic bags. This lady bought two, found out to her dismay that they won't do the kind of commercial embroidery she wanted to do, couldn't return them to the dealer and sold them on Ebay.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:08 AM

I bought a modern singer from a dealer. I am happy with the machine and the support.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:21 AM

I have a Janome 6600 and I LOVE this machine. I mostly quilt but I managed to sew through 8 layers of leather with it too, repairing a cuff on my DH's jacket. (It did finally balk at 12 layers of leather though, lol!)

As others have said...I agree, avoid Singer. My boss just bought his wife a new expensive Singer and was happily telling me all about it but could tell from the look on my face something was wrong. I told him I hoped he got a good one but I'd heard nothing good about new Singers. They took it to the shop twice within a month before returning it and getting a Pfaff. (I haven't run a modern Pfaff so no opinion from me on them. I did learn to sew on a 1954 Pfaff and that thing was quite literally built like a tank. Wouldn't mind getting another one of those!)

I am fond of Brother/Babylock; I've owned a couple lower-end Brothers that were great machines, both I ended up giving away to family members and both are still running. I still have a Brother embroidery-only machine too. But both of my sewing machines are Janome - my big 6600 and then I bought a 3160QDC as my travel machine.

The 3160QDC would be in your price range; it's a standard-sized machine but has lots of great features (including the scissor cut button, which is my most favorite feature ever) and it sews like a dream; very quiet and smooth. It's a "quilter" machine so it comes with the extender bed and quarter-inch foot. (Doesn't come with a walking foot though) So if an extra-large harp is not on your "must have" list, you might consider test-driving one of those.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:30 AM

I think a well made straight. Stitch only would fit your budget and your needs.check amazon the brother. Is only six hundred dollars