Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Sewing Machine Purchase >

New Sewing Machine Purchase

New Sewing Machine Purchase

Old 09-02-2014, 05:45 AM

I have a Juki. They only straight stitch but run well and the throat space is 9". Several ladies in our guild have them and make award winning quilts with them. They run about $1000. Has a thread cutter which I love.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:49 AM

I have both a Brother and Designer from Viking that I really love, however, I really don't do that much embroidery and am more into quilting.....so I bought a Sapphire 930Q from Viking because of the larger throat area....what a difference that makes...so I would suggest you look for something one that comes with that....Viking has always been user friendly and the accessories are affordable. My dealer is having a sale on floor models to make way for new ones coming out....that is a great way to stretch your dollars.... check around.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by madamepurl View Post
Listen to Mitch's mom... don't do it. Go test drive and buy yourself a nice machine.
Many don't realize that Singer as we knew it many, many years ago is long gone. The name was sold, so all that is left of Singer is the name. Even Singer notions in chain stores are not the same Singer that we knew.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:06 AM

I agree with comments regarding new Singers. My sister purchased a new one from Joann's and it didn't hold up even until the warranty ran out. I have a friend who has a top of the line Viking that is older now, and when it went on the blink, she started researching and bought a nice Brother. Since then, she's also purchased the big fancy Brother embroidery machine as well and absolutely loves it. I have an older Janome that I can't seem to get parts for, so at present I'm using vintage Kenmore sewing machines because of their reliability.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:38 AM

I have Pfaffs and love them. They have built in walking feet which really helps in most cases. Find a dealer in your area and check them out. Janome also makes good machines for reasonable prices. You may find an older model on E-bay that will work better and be more reliable. The nice thing about getting it with pay-pal is that you can get a refund if it's not in working shape,
Old 09-02-2014, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by newbee3 View Post
I don't think you will find a bernina in your price range
I have always in the past loved my Bernina machines, until I bought the upscale 830 computerized machine...for several thousand dollar. My advise is don't do what I did. The new 830 is a temperamental diva. I traded in my Bernina 440 for it and I wish I had it back. You might find one used as they are no longer manufacturing that model. They are very easy to sew on and is quite reliable. It is also an embroidery machine. Right now I am doing most of my piecing on a Brother Inovis QC1000 [$3000, new and just of the shelf, I you go for a discontinued floor demo you can get it for about half that} and find it quite reliable if it has some design quirks that can be cumbersome. However once I got used to these, thing have gone quite smoothly. I have been thinking that I should trade in the 830 for a dream weaver. Right now I am only using the 830 for quilting....sad use of such an upscale machine. What ever you do, used or new, fancy or not buy from a reputable dealer that is not too far away from you. Having to make a all day trip over and back just to get to a tech just adds to the cost and frustration of a machine. Good luck with what ever machine you buy. Bring some of your own fabric to piece and a small quilt sandwich to practice the free motion quilting on. Ask about extra feet, which are included and which are not. Ask about a walking foot if the machine does not have dual feed. Take your time, no reputable dealer will balk at how long or how intensive your trial of a potentially big purchase. Remember it is just like buying new car, take your time and don't be afraid to haggle if you must.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:52 AM

Joann's should also have the Vikings as well. They have machines that have a larger throat for quilter's. Did you look at them as well as the Singers? I agree with all the negative responses on Singers. It is sad that this once great, historical machine is not what it once was. Berninas are way overpriced IMHO, they charge you for every little thing, whereas machines like Viking and Pfaff, Brother, come with so much more at a better price. I have a Pfaff Performance 5.0, and a Viking Diamond Royale, both above your mentioned price range, but these brands make models that are more in your price range as well. I would visit dealers, where you will get support on learning your new machine, and if at all possible, has their in-house repair person. Also, dealers will have pre-owned trade-ins as well where you could probably wind up with a fabulous machine also. They are always serviced at my dealer before putting on the For Sale shelf.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:25 AM

I sent you a private message on machine information.
Diana
Old 09-02-2014, 11:18 AM

If you think the Janome you have would serve your purpose, find a Janome dealer near you. I am sure they would be glad to show you how to work the machine -- just to get your future business. I have had a Janome, and now have a Babylock and a Brother and love them all. Before getting my Brother, I thought about the Singer (saw it on a tv shopping channel) but after going to one of the Yahoo Singer groups, saw more problems than happiness with them and went with the Brother 770 - love it!
Old 09-02-2014, 11:35 AM

I currently have the entry level computerized Janome DC 1050 and live it except for the throat space. it's got the Kenmore quality and manufacturing I trust.

i have been wanting to trade up . I tested the Janome 6300 and really like it. Looking to buy it from a dealer for $1000. It has the large throat, thread cutter, presser foot adjustment (not the exact term but close enough) for various types of fabrics and layers. quiet, heavy, solid and Intuitive --and comes with a huge lot of feet. i've been encouraged by other members to save up for a 77OO but it's 2.5 x as much $. Bernina accessories are quite pricey. It's daunting to me . The Brother has a lot to offer in every price range. Singers are junk nowadays . Run away from any .,no matter how pretty or tempting the price. They are hollow. Best advice is try them at the dealer on a day he or she has time to sit and answer your questions while you play on different models. A good rapport with the dealer is so valuable. Good luck!