Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Honest opinion needed on another Dresden Plate >

Honest opinion needed on another Dresden Plate

Honest opinion needed on another Dresden Plate

Old 09-03-2014, 02:13 AM

I really like your color choices. There is a good balance of dark and lights.

Once while shopping for a dining room rug, the salesclerk pointed out the difference in color combinations that were loud and others that were quiet. In other words, some color combinations are soothing and calming and others are bold and seem to shout...when using lots of brights. Your block colors are calming to me. You will have to decide what affect you are looking for in your overall quilt. Have fun!
Old 09-03-2014, 02:52 AM

Maybe keep with the dark plate every 4 one like you started. Replacing the yellow with a dark and you might be
happier. Looks so nice...
Old 09-03-2014, 03:02 AM
Power Poster

I believe the colors are just fine. I would continue with it.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
I see a bit of unbalance...darker corner....lower right side...I would break that up a bit....switch some of lighter ones fron top in between. Just me
I am beginner so what do I know, but my first thought was the same thing. Love the color choices, but it's too dark heavy on the bottom....and too light on the top. Seems out of balance. If its part of a quilt where all the DP's are the same, I say ok, but if it's a singular design, I would swap a few of the bottom with the top. IMHO.

Last edited by Lovequilting22; 09-03-2014 at 03:46 AM. Reason: Word missing :)
Old 09-03-2014, 03:48 AM

I do not believe there is anything "wrong" or "missing" with this Dresden plate. If you feel that you need a splash of color, put a bright center in the middle. If all of your Dresdens are indeed scrappy, using the same center in all of your blocks will unify an entire project. Keep up your good work and how us a picture of your finished project!
Old 09-03-2014, 03:57 AM

I like your dresden plate and fabrics, but I think the four dark petals over power the rest of them, causing the eye to go just to the darks. Not sure how I would change it, maybe rearrange them, take the darks out and replace with something else, or possibly the background fabric will balance it all out? I hope we get to see it when it is finished. I love the Dresden Plate quilts. It is the first pattern I was drawn to even as a kid.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:21 AM

Pretty as is to me. But if it bugs you or doesn't look right with the other plates or background fabric, NOW is the time to change it up!!
Old 09-03-2014, 04:37 AM

I really like your plate. I had to look at it for a bit because it is made up of so many fabrics. In your plan are the other plates going to be just like this one or random scrappy in these same fabrics? Since it the usual plan to put the plates on a background, do you plan to use the same background? I would suggest that you use different colors for the backgrounds-perhaps the same or nearly same value-to make portions of each plate pop out. There are lots of possibilities for these pretty Dresden plates. Will be anxious to see the next phase.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by piepatch View Post
I like your dresden plate and fabrics, but I think the four dark petals over power the rest of them, causing the eye to go just to the darks. Not sure how I would change it, maybe rearrange them, take the darks out and replace with something else, or possibly the background fabric will balance it all out? I hope we get to see it when it is finished. I love the Dresden Plate quilts. It is the first pattern I was drawn to even as a kid.
I thought the plate was just beautiful, until I looked at it further. Then I noticed the four really dark petals, and that they were not evenly spaced. After that I read of others who saw that.
If all the plates in the quilt are randomly spaced such as this, it will be fine. If you evenly space one plate, then they all need to be evenly spaced. I like random.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:40 AM

Like others have said, yellow centers would be a great idea. Just curious, are all the dresdens blocks going to be the same or scrappy. Good Job.