Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
OK, I'm sold.  Aurifil...it's been really nice but I have a new love now. >

OK, I'm sold. Aurifil...it's been really nice but I have a new love now.

OK, I'm sold. Aurifil...it's been really nice but I have a new love now.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
I also use PRESENCIA (note spelling ;-))
Whoops! Thank you! I thought I might have had it wrong but it looked "wrong" when I spelled it the right way too!

Originally Posted by mckwilter View Post
I learned about it while in a Harriett Hargrave quilting class, and you can buy it off her website.
Funny, the class project I was talking about was from an HH class! It was my guild classmates that gave me the recommendation though. It was a great class, all about different methods for marking your quilt top for quilting. I learned lots of neat stuff and tried some things outside my comfort zone. Loved it.

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
What wt. did you buy? It come in 40wt 50wt and 60wt.
I bought 60 wt, and I ordered it from Colonial Needle. For buying & shipping just one cone that was the best price I could find.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:38 AM

Anyone using it with a treadle? I recently started using a White Rotary treadle and my Aurafil is a disaster. Can't get tension correct, looks lost. The quilter I purchased it from had all coats & clark hand quilting in all the bobbins and spools and all my practice stitching looked perfect, as in the best I have ever seen, with her thread. How weird is that? Every time I changed neadle size and changed tension, boom! perfect stitches. I guess it is mindset that I even bothered to get ready for real sewing and bring out the Aurafil. Epic fail. So, how does this Presencia work with White treadles? I did try some mach'ine quilting thread (C&C) and it is perfect as well.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:26 AM

I've noticed Aurifil breaks easily when you pull on it. So far my quilts have stayed together. I just so happen to have a spool of Presencia that I'm going to try. Tks for the heads up.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:08 PM

Who is the maker of this thread? Or is it Presencia?
Old 09-04-2014, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Kay4 View Post
Who is the maker of this thread? Or is it Presencia?
I am not sure but it looks like that is the company's name...? This is what the Colonial Needle site (http://www.presenciaamerica.com/) says, if this helps any:

The Colonial Needle Co. is the U.S. supplier of Presencia Hilaturas sewing, quilting, embroidery and needlework thread and floss. These unique threads and floss are made of 100% extra-long staple Egyptian cotton grown in the Giza Valley, home of the highest grade of cotton available.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:08 PM

very interesting....I love my Aurifil...but always looking for something better. Thanks.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by yobrosew View Post
Anyone using it with a treadle? I recently started using a White Rotary treadle and my Aurafil is a disaster. Can't get tension correct, looks lost. The quilter I purchased it from had all coats & clark hand quilting in all the bobbins and spools and all my practice stitching looked perfect, as in the best I have ever seen, with her thread. How weird is that? Every time I changed neadle size and changed tension, boom! perfect stitches. I guess it is mindset that I even bothered to get ready for real sewing and bring out the Aurafil. Epic fail. So, how does this Presencia work with White treadles? I did try some mach'ine quilting thread (C&C) and it is perfect as well.
If hand quilting thread was used in that machine for very long there may be grooves worn in the tension discs. It's probably not a big deal to replace the tension assembly in that machine though.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:37 PM

I loooooooooooooooove Prescencia thread!!!
Old 09-04-2014, 04:30 PM

I had a lot of breakage with aurifil. I have been sold on superior threads, very high quality. Haven't tried presencia but have heard good things
Old 09-05-2014, 04:12 AM

Yep... I use color 216 in 60 weight for all of my piecing since learning about it from a Harriet Hargrave class.