Can this machine be rescued?

Old 09-04-2014, 04:47 PM

Default 29K58 AKA Barnacle Bill

I picked this up a month or so back and although it was a lot worse than I'd imagined I bought it anyway (very stupid). Turns out that it's something my dad and I can do together. He's enjoying my addiction too
[ATTACH=CONFIG]490307[/ATTACH]
It came with a stand, but I can't find the picture of that right now. I stripped the paint/japan off but it had been sitting outside and near the ocean for 15 years, so every part was rusted. The handwheel had a lot of rust! After paint removal my dad set to work freeing it all up. It's now very very smooth but not yet finished. I'll buy a set of waterslide decals shortly and she'll be ready to take on the world again.
Here's some machine scantiness (I'd removed nearly all the paint):
[ATTACH=CONFIG]490322[/ATTACH]
Since then we've treated the rust and there's some new paint (I'll probably add several more coats to make it like it should be) but the majority of the work was treating the mechanical parts. The manual is available free from Singer, and includes a section "for adjusters and mechanics" which has clear-ish diagrams of how to do just about everything. Very simple machine, and I'm looking forward to testing her out.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	pre-stripping.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	490307   Click image for larger version

Name:	no_paint.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	490322  
Old 09-04-2014, 04:53 PM

That's quite a project. Good to see your dad likes playing with them too. It's good to share an interest like this and it will keep him busy and out of trouble. I love the look of the 29s, not sure where I would put one but certainly wouldn't turn one down either. I can't wait to see the finished results.
Rodney
Old 09-04-2014, 04:55 PM

I can't wait to see the finished product.
Right now I'm working on a rust bucket with the help of a favored person who used to be here. He's said this is doable but only time will tell.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by crocee View Post
I can't wait to see the finished product.
Right now I'm working on a rust bucket with the help of a favored person who used to be here. He's said this is doable but only time will tell.
Rust bucket? You should see the one Rodney got today. (giggle)

Cari
Old 09-04-2014, 05:11 PM

Well I've been oiling this thing for 6 months and its not freed up yet. I've gotten some detailed help on removing things that may have it in a bind. Hopefully soon it'll be spinning smoothly.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:11 PM

I just got to meet Cari today. She was really nice. She gifted me an old White Rotary that had spent some quality time outdoors. The finish is shot and it's going to need a complete teardown anyway just to get the rust off so I now have a candidate for a repaint. I haven't had to go too deeply on any of my machines yet so this one will be a really good learning experience. My daughter thinks a hot fuschia pink color would be a good choice. A little bright for my tastes. We'll see.
Rodney
Old 09-04-2014, 05:30 PM

Hey hot pink or purple would look great. The japan finish on this one isn't too bad but the decals are a nice shade of icky silver. New waterslides and a nice polish of the japan and it should look pretty good.

Its funny how things work out. A couple weeks ago I found a really nice cabinet for $20, it came with a Singer Merritt that I'm not sure what I'm going to do with. After a little research I found the machine originally sold with this cabinet was a Singer 66. I've been on the lookout for one but couldn't find one I could even reasonably afford. With all the stuff that went on last week and a few emails back and forth I mentioned I had a stuck up rust bucket that I'd been trying to free up for 6 months. I was asked for a few pictures of a few key locations, I happily supplied these. I figured the answer coming back was that it was a lost cause and its only redeeming quality was it was made of iron and would make a fantastic boat anchor or door stop. Well shortly thereafter the pictures came back with some instructions of what to do and how to do it. My stuck up rust bucket was not a lost cause and with a bit of work would be a great machine. At this point I couldn't even remember what the machine was so I looked it up. Low and behold my stuck up rust bucket is a 66 just like what came in the cabinet I fell in love with. When I get finished I'll have an original machine and cabinet in great shape for less than $50 total. That is including the supplies to make it right again. Things worked out and I didn't even know it.

Last edited by crocee; 09-04-2014 at 05:33 PM.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by crocee View Post
Its funny how things work out. My stuck up rust bucket was not a lost cause and with a bit of work would be a great machine. At this point I couldn't even remember what the machine was so I looked it up. Low and behold my stuck up rust bucket is a 66 just like what came in the cabinet I fell in love with. When I get finished I'll have an original machine and cabinet in great shape for less than $50 total. That is including the supplies to make it right again. Things worked out and I didn't even know it.
"Don't you love it when a plan comes together." Giving my age away here, lol.

Cari
Old 09-04-2014, 06:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
I just got to meet Cari today. She was really nice. She gifted me an old White Rotary that had spent some quality time outdoors. The finish is shot and it's going to need a complete teardown anyway just to get the rust off so I now have a candidate for a repaint. I haven't had to go too deeply on any of my machines yet so this one will be a really good learning experience. My daughter thinks a hot fuschia pink color would be a good choice. A little bright for my tastes. We'll see.
Rodney
Hahaha, I was only nice so you'd take it off my hands, lol. Yep, it would look good in '69 Chrysler Panther Pink. And thanks too for the accessory tin.

Cari
Old 09-04-2014, 06:53 PM

I just unloaded mine. I brushed the dirt and spider webs off and put some oil on it, not that it's likely to do much any time soon. This one is stuck solid, including the motor. I need to catch up a couple other projects before I get serious with this one so the oil will have plenty of time to work. It might be a good candidate for the electrolysis tank.
Rodney