Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bah! Now everyone I know wants a quilt!! LOL >

Bah! Now everyone I know wants a quilt!! LOL

Bah! Now everyone I know wants a quilt!! LOL

Old 12-31-2009, 07:09 AM

Our niece who was also the flowergirl at our wedding two years ago, was very sad when her brother got one of my quilts for Christmas this year... I whispered in her ear that she was next! That got me a smile!

As much as I love quilting I am not spending the rest of my life making quilts for people who may or may not appreciate them. My dh wants me to send his adopted daughter a quilt... in the five years I've known him she has NEVER even sent him a card or gift for his birthday, Father's Day or Christmas, but he wants me to make her a quilt? NO WAY!
Old 12-31-2009, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by aliaslaceygreen
Originally Posted by sharon b
YES.. YES.. and YES.. and most of the time I will do them on my time and conditions :lol: If they get too demanding , then I just start to ignore them or pretend I don't hear them when they try to talk to me about making them a quilt :? Welocme to the world of quilting :wink:
Pretty much the same. What everyone has said.
We draw names for Christmas. Last year I drew on SIL, and gave her a quilt I had almost finished, that had no 'reason for being' yet....
So when I drew the other SIL, I KNEW I had to make another.
I figure that if I keep drawing a different family member each year, I can give them each one that way....

I give a baby quilt to each baby born.

Beyond that, I would probably say something along the lines of, "Well, there is a really nice quilt store over at XX, why don't you go in there, and have someone help you buy the amounts of fabrics and pattern you want, and I will add you to my ever-growing pile of things I have to make!!! I am only about 50 hours into the quilt I am working on now, however, so I can't promise you a deadline...."

Yes, I am a wee bit snarky, lol!!!
This is a wonderful response! I love the "positiveity" of it..and the person who actually follows thru would be the type of person who would be "quilt-worthy"!
Old 12-31-2009, 07:20 AM

I have been quilting for just a little over a year and I did make three for Christmas this year. I would love to make them for my family, but it is time consuming and I just decided that I make what and whn I want to make a quilt or project and if it fits a family member when I am done tht is what they will get. i figure it is time to get back to giving from my heart and not necessarily what is on their list, and if someone doesn't like the gift I say give it to someone in need or someone else they think might like it.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:23 AM

It sounds as if you make beautiful quilts. Two suggestions if you want to share your quilting.
1. Make simple lap quilts (there are a lot of easy patterns online and these are smaller and can be a good way to use up scrap fabric and to practice your quilting. I have a couple of friends who do this routinely for charity quilting and also have a couple of hand for baby gifts or quick quilts for folk needing a bit of comfort (ie. hospitalized).

2. Try your hand at a few easy small wall quilts or placemats--or even quilted potholders or coasters. I love small quilted gifts. For some of my friends, I have even made postcard (4x6) or slightly larger gifts that I see displayed on mantels or bookcases when i visit.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by maggiesquilt
I have a good for you, every year I give away a quilt at our company Christmas party and as we were leaving this years party one of the wives of a man I work with came up to be and said "I'm really sick and need to rest a lot of the time, if I could have one of your quilts I would feel so warm and comfortable and get well so much faster.".......... lol Could not believe her boldness, guess it just hit me wrong.
I had a guy look at my Hot Rod one day and wanted to know if I painted cars for others and I told him I did. So later that week my wife and I went to his house (huge mansion) and looked at his '65 Mustang that he was building for a show car and gave him a quote.

He looked at me like I was the biggest dummy in the world and said that there was no way a paint job cost that much, and he had somebody already tell him that they would do it for $450 bodywork and all. I laughed and told him that if thats all he wanted to pay then go for it.

I saw the car at a show right after it was painted and it looked like the guy used a roller to paint it. I swear it looked like a relief map of the moon it was so rough looking. He asked me if my price was still good for painting his car and told him "You couldn't afford me then and you cant afford me now, just be happy with what you got"!

Billy
Old 12-31-2009, 07:32 AM

I agree! I'm very flattered that people appreciate my talent, I don't even acknowledge the requests after a friend of mine stated that I HAD to make a quit for her, but, she didn't want it to be 'quilty' looking! I only make quilts for other people when I get the urge, including my children... the last quilt I made for my daughter was so filthy the next time I saw it, it took 3 washingings to get the dirt & smell out! It was like someone was living outside with it. Very disapointing.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:21 AM

I guess I am the sucker. I did spend all year one year making quilts for my children and grandchildren. Everyone was thrilled, however, THIS Christmas they all came home and no one brought blankets and I didn't have enough quilts for everyone, LOL. There were 37 people here. Live and learn and be stingy!!!!
Old 12-31-2009, 08:28 AM

Of course! The first quilt I made for my mother was a double Irish Chain and I had no intention of continuing. But at her birthday party, everyone was begging for one for themselves. I relented and promised the whole family quilts. So far I have given 12. This year I hope to do my last 4 nephews and then I have one special wedding quilt to do..Whew! That's a lot of gifting. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do and your family and everyone you gift to will be thrilled.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:33 AM

I have been quilting several years, but I still feel I am learning. My very dear friend who is an artist has watched this process and every time I show her something I am working on or have finished she says quietly something about wanting a quilt, too.

In November she had a birthday and I decided that I would make her a quilt. She likes very contemporary things and I thought it would be good to have her show me fabrics and styles that she would like and I would take it from there. My plan was to take her to lunch and then we could go to the quilt shop and make it a fun day. When I told her I planned to make this for her I think she felt guilty and said that she had been joking.

So far we have set up two different days to do this and she has had to cancel both days. I am thinking I will just pick something, make it, and just move on. I thought it would be special and fun, but now I don't know.

Mostly when someone asks for a quilt I just consider it a compliment. They have no idea of the time and money it takes and I just figure it's my job to educate them. :-)
Old 12-31-2009, 09:13 AM

I would say to these "I WANT" people that I am too busy to
do it myself, but would be thrilled to teach THEM to do it.

They may surprise you and actually want to, but my bet is that
they won't want to bother with it.

Do only what YOU want to do, for whomever YOU want to do
it for. This hobby takes far too much time and money to do it
for everyone who simply "WANTS".