Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cleaning  up your sewing space..Join me?! >

Cleaning up your sewing space..Join me?!

Cleaning up your sewing space..Join me?!

Old 12-31-2009, 07:51 AM

I am going to be joining in. I can do it. I just have to decide if I really am going to move rooms. I had a craft room when we moved in. Then started my quilting in another room. I would like to clean out the craft room and move my quilting in there. And I would have to <gasp> get rid of some craft things. Moving rooms it is going to be a HUGE project but I think DH would be happier if I did. I would be too-AFTER it is all put together. > I know it has to get worse before it gets better-really worse, but a good time to paint a couple of rooms too.

I have some house guests coming this weekend....then I can start. And when I go "off the deep end", I hope you will cheer me on!
Old 12-31-2009, 07:56 AM

I just finished reorganizing my sewing/craft area about a month ago. I'll try to post some pictures too. Can't wait to see all the other good ideas too.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:04 AM

I clean mine faithfully every week but someone goes in there and messes it up again for me. Must be a stranger in my house. I would never do that to me. I even re-arranged it and put things where I thought that person would not find them but low and behold, they were left out again. I think I should just gut the room, make it twice the size and add more storage space....maybe I should just rent a whole house just for my sewing and not tell that person where I put it.

Good luck, I will be doing mine right along with ya, gal.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:05 AM

I had that same problem with hubby having his computer in the sewing room until I finally convinced him that the lint was not good for the computer and my daughter, the computer geek, agreed with me.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:11 AM

I am Aretta from WV I joined recently
My sewing room needs cleaned up bad ,I will be glad to join you ,and send me the HINTS
Old 12-31-2009, 08:14 AM

Hi Waterstide!

Great New Year's resolution. Enjoyed your photos and made sure DH saw them so that he would know there are others like me in the world!

I completed my clean up this month. The turning point was folding and stacking fabrics. I'd saved cardboard for a few months and trimmed it to fit the depth of the book shelves in my "Quilter's Closet". The fabric is now sorted by color - both prints and solids. What a difference from storing fabric in a myriad of plastic boxes!

I think there's a commercial product available, but by making my own I have more $$s for more fabric!

Marveen
in Sunny Tucson
Old 12-31-2009, 08:19 AM

OK, I'll join too. The sewing room was supposed to be cleaned up in Sept; oh, maybe Oct; November? Then it was Christmas and here we are. My problem is that I have to move everything out of the room so I have room to even work. That requires the guest room to be empty and right now I'm babysitting one of my little bottle babies that were adopted. The new family went on vacation for a week and they couldn't take her with them. "Momma" didn't want her to be by herself for a week, she's only 11 weeks old. She seems to be happier today and not hissing at my own three, actually playing with the 8 month old.
I do have a little path that I can walk thru the room and I do know where stuff is but it sure looks bad. I have been doing my sewing in the family room but have been 'requested' to sew in the sewing room so family room stays cleaner. I need all the ideas I can get. Haven't seen anything yet that looks as bad as my room but not confident enough to post pictures. What if no one likes me anymore?
Let's go quilters, I'm right with you (as soon as I get done resting from playing with the kitties).
Wendy
Old 12-31-2009, 08:20 AM

I'll try the 'lint' story!!! Thanks for the idea! :o)
Old 12-31-2009, 08:22 AM

I have towers of plastic storage boxes, stacked up on two walls in my room. Each holds a different color fabric : Red/Pink, Blue, Yellow/Cream, Teal/Aqua, Multi Color Brights, Multi Color Darks, etc. This really helps keep the mess contained. I also have a short plastic drawer tower on wheels, that sits next to my sewing space with a Quilter's Square' n Press on top. Pressing blocks as I sew is easy, I just spin to the right and the iron is right there. I have a long extension cord on my iron, so if I need to use the ironing board, set up behind me, I can easily move the iron back there and then bring it back to the smaller ironing pad. Over the years, I've had to change the size of the boxes as I've gotten more of certain colors, but that's fairly easy to do. I watch until the storage boxes are on sale and make sure to measure what size I need, before heading off to the store. I also put stick on labels on both the cover and the side of the box. Hope this helps.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:23 AM

Marveen, would you be willing to share the pattern or describe your pattern for folding the fabric? My fabric is all in plastic bins but is a bear to work with, especially of you want something at the bottom. I've looked at the commercial ones but that's alot of money. Sure would appreciate any help you would like to give. Thanks.
Wendy