Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Charity Quilts--How to choose >

Charity Quilts--How to choose

Charity Quilts--How to choose

Old 09-08-2014, 05:12 AM
Power Poster

I am just starting to donate quilts and there are some good ideas posted here. I donated five scrappy quilts to a cancer doctors' office to be used by his chemo patients. They were very happy to get them. I have about 10 more, mainly for women. I need to make kid sized quilts and a few men's quilts. I usually make men's quilts as I need them, so I don't have any without flowers.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:24 AM

I make baby and kid quilts for local Care Net. They are always so thrilled and send a thank you.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:45 AM

Agree w the others that you look around in YOUR area. In my area, I won't make Linus quilts as I see way too many in the Goodwill bins....totally unappreciated and tossed out brand new to Goodwill. Our VA hospital won't accept QOV until next yr as they have too many on hand. So...my group is making itty bitty quilts for a crisis pregnancy center and for an agency that deals w/ children in crisis (abuse in the home).
Old 09-08-2014, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
I try to give most of my donation quilts locally; I do make project Linus quilts and Downey Quilts for kids but most of my donations go to the local Hospice house, the Women's Resource Center emergency shelter ( I always give a number of kids/tween quilts to the shelter during the holidays, kids who wind up in the shelters during that time of year are especially in need of something special just for them) . I also give quilts to our local fire department, when a family's home burns it is nice if the responding fire department has a couple quilts to give them. I also give to a couple local churches/organizations that put together special gift baskets during the holidays.
Same here we focus on local needs fire depts, nursing home , and requests on a case by case basis.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:25 AM

I have sent quilts to "Quilts Beyond Borders" that send quilts to children around the world in orphanages and in war torn areas. http://quiltsbeyondborders.wordpress.com
Old 09-08-2014, 10:14 AM

My church has a quilting ministry. We do nursing homes, VA home, hospitals and shutins. Right now we are making bags for a mission trip to South America. We are also making quilts for the VA home to be delivered the day after Thanksgiving. I know where the things are going so this is where I do my charity quilting. I have been long arm quilting for the church a couple of months. It has improved my skills.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:19 AM

I make charity quilts for "The Linus Connection" all of the quilts and yarn blankets go to in-need children. Foster children and Dell Children's Hospital. www.thelinusconnection.org

I also make wounded soldier quilts with "Thank You Quilters" all of our quilts to the "Wounded Warriors" program at Fort Hood Army base in Texas.
Sharon in Texas
Old 09-08-2014, 10:32 AM

I make doll quilts that go into a shoebox full of gifts (including a doll or new stuffed animal) for Operation Christmas Child (thru Samaritan's Purse). I know for sure they are delivered and appreciated. I get to practice new blocks, use up scraps, and finish a quilt in short order, too!
Old 09-08-2014, 10:33 AM

One quilt for each shoebox
Old 09-08-2014, 12:19 PM
Power Poster

My guild has a community service component and the quilts go to local hospitals to the children's ward.