Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Finished Quilt Top!! (Lotus) >

Finished Quilt Top!! (Lotus)

Finished Quilt Top!! (Lotus)

Old 09-12-2014, 05:40 AM
Power Poster

Wow that was fast! I didn't comment on your first thread as you had already gotten tons of helpful advice and I had nothing to add other than how impressed I am with your piecing! You do amazing work already. I can just imagine what you will be churning out by your 10th quilt when this is only your second! You also have a great eye for color, your fabric choices are fabulous. I look forward to your continued participation on this board.

Regarding your quilting plan.... Did you press all your seams open? If so I would not recommend stitching in the ditch as you may end up becoming frustrated quite quickly. There are a couple of schools of thought on open seams and ditch stitching. Leah Day says she has no problems. Judy Madsen of Green Fairy quilts states the opposite (when it comes to SITD on seams pressed open). So you never know. I fall into Judy's camp and feel there is not enough integrity in the seam for SITD and technically, with the seams pressed open there really is no ditch so it is very easy to wobble off the seam line, but that is JMHO. You may want to consider stitching just a hair next to the ditch so you are assured of catching all layers of fabric. Or maybe consider 1/4" inside each of the large triangle units.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:58 AM

What a great job you are doing. They will love it.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:10 AM
Power Poster

Great job! Straight line quilting will look nice on your pretty top.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:42 AM

Love it! Great for big patterned fabric that you don't want to cut up. You have done a great job!
Old 09-12-2014, 06:53 AM

Nice work -- your points are well put together!
Old 09-12-2014, 06:59 AM

I really love the fabrics. You have done a fantastic job. Keep it going.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:14 AM

Wow, it's gorgeous! You've done a great job! I didn't have any advice for your other thread, so I'm really glad others were able to help. It's a beautiful top and will make a great gift! Your friends will love it!
Old 09-12-2014, 07:31 AM

I think it's perfect
Old 09-12-2014, 08:45 AM

Thank you everyone!!

I can't take credit for choosing the colors, I contacted a couple family members to find out about the couple's home decor and didn't hear back so I just decided to use all the colorways and stuck with this one line. I hit 3 fabric stores on Labor Day trying to get all the different prints I think there were only a couple prints that I either chose not to use or couldn't find.

All of my seams are pressed open, I thought about stitching on either side of the seams about a 1/4 inch out, but what I'll probably do is rows of straight lines, the ones that are a little wavy and organic looking. Does that have a term?

My next plan is to make accessories for everyone in my family using the scrap fabric. My husband and son are getting bow ties, my younger daughter has a little sailor style dress that is too short so I'm going to lengthen it with some of this fabric. I haven't decided what my older daughter and I get. Once I get those projects done I'll see what scraps I have left and maybe piece the back. There's one print of the fabric I couldn't get locally that I'd like to use on the back so I might use that.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:50 AM
Power Poster

Great job!!!