Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
just joined & could use some help with my adiction >

just joined & could use some help with my adiction

just joined & could use some help with my adiction

Old 09-12-2014, 02:02 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome...I feel a bit daft, how do I upload the picts? I've tried the insert image button, but to no avail. Maybe they are to large...can I upload multiples?

I could us some advise about the file size and procedure.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:21 PM

Jim, click on the Insert Image icon. Make sure 'From Computer' is selected, click 'Browse', then select the photo you'd like to upload (click on the thumbnail image once, then click 'Open'). When you're back to the small window that asks whether to browse, click on 'Upload File(s)'.

If you're using Windows 7, you'll find it helps if you open each photo in Windows Live Photo Gallery and resize your photos to the smallest menu setting Windows offers (640 x 480, usually). You'll have to do this prior to selecting the photo to upload to Quilting Board.
Old 09-12-2014, 03:30 PM

Welcome!! No help from me for this romance with vintage sewing machines
When it gets you - it gets you. I've lost count - I don't even know how many I have any more.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:31 AM

Welcome Jim to the world of Vintage sewing machines. You will know when you have too many sewing machines when you have to start being creative on how to store them, display them or start using your children's homes to house the overflow. You will love the 201 as it has the most perfect stitches and is a real workhorse.

As far a pictures, I have the settings on my camera set to 640x480 in order to be Internet friendly.

Last edited by Caroline S; 09-13-2014 at 06:33 AM.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:26 AM

Welcome Mish! There are several threads here on dealing with stinky cases. So far I haven't had to deal with that issue. Most of my machines come to me either in a cabinet or with nothing at all. Definitely get that mystery case down and open it up.
Rodney
Old 09-13-2014, 04:28 PM

Lucky you to find so many so cheap! I'm no help with the addiction sorry! ;-) I may be about to branch out to kenmores and morse..sigh
Old 09-13-2014, 06:52 PM

I have a 66 Redeye, 99 and 11 that came in wooden cases. They can be refinished and there are decals on Ebay for the cases. Ask everyone you know if they have a key. You may get lucky. New keys are available on Ebay for $9.00 to $15.00, depending on who is selling. I have tried to get blanks from every lock shop around and they all say they have made keys, but no longer can get the blanks. A small screwdriver will work just fine. Look at the picture on Ebay so you will know one when you find it. Muv's tutorial on cleaning will help you get it ready. Parts are available at Sew-Classic.com and Jenny there will help you. Get some Tri-Flo oil too. Joe Miller uses it on his machines and finds it superior to others. Never use 3 and 1 oil as it gets hard and ugly in oh so many ways. The people here are always thrilled to have a new member who is wanting to save old machines. They need our help, but add up quickly as we save them from destruction. Looking forward to your pictures and posts.
Donna
Old 09-13-2014, 08:27 PM

Wow! 2 new members and you both have gathered some wonderful machines! I can't tell whether you were both darn lucky or very good shoppers!

I have a few machines in the wood cases. To add to the ones already mentioned as possibles one of mine a Singer 201.

So far as helping with the addiction, we will be glad to help by pointing out all the good machines you just gotta have LOL!