Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Any tips to make quilting more affordable for me? >

Any tips to make quilting more affordable for me?

Any tips to make quilting more affordable for me?

Old 09-13-2014, 05:06 AM

My family loves fleece throws, they use them for keeping warm on cool nights, eventually they get drab and pill up. I use them for batting. Advantage is that they will not shift so you can keep your quilting lines up to 4-6 inches apart, they are very warm batting and make a real warm quilt, they will last as long as the quilt does, they are cheap and easily found in the thrift shops and are easy to needle through. For items that need to be flatter like placemats, I use two layers of a flannel sheet, also thrifted. If you look with a creative eye at the fabrics in thrift shop items you will find lots of really thrifty and very usable fabric for up-cycling and sewing. All the good advice here about using sheets and men's shirts is helpful as well.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:09 AM

If you have access to used military goods as we do here at Army surplus stores, the blankets make excellent wadding for quilts. Have fun on your search. Let neighborhood churches know you quilt and occasionally donate to their cause and you may find thrift stuff coming your way.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:09 AM

Check out the local charity shops. I visited a couple of those when I was in UK, and I think you might could find some blankets or drapery fabrics there. If things can be shipped by surface freight, it might be less expensive to have some things shipped from the US. The cost for air freight are much too high for this option. Good luck.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:47 AM

I recently started shopping garage sales and got some great fabric. Maybe you could do a swap of your own with friends to exchange fabrics.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:37 AM

Another idea just struck me, you could use old sweatshirts as wadding also.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:38 AM

You've got heaps of good advice here but just wanted to add that I got a fabulous minkee throw for very little in Primark and split it open to give a back (no batting needed) for a super soft baby quilt. Much much cheaper than buying minkee by the yard. Regular fleece throws can be bought new for even less- nice for gifts to have unused fabric.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:00 AM

I didn't read all the replies, but I'll just share what I do. When my boys were little, I made most of my own clothes and theirs too. My first quilts were all scraps from making clothing, and were just squares sewn together with no particular pattern. I agree, that batting and backing are expensive. I tend to only buy batting on sale, or with a coupon, although it is even less expensive to order online. For backing, I have used sheets (although some people advise against this), which turns out to be a little less expensive. As for batting, some people use old blankets, flannel, or fleece.

Thus far, I haven't made any show quality quilts, but they keep us warm anyhow.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:37 AM

I too live in England and am on a very tight budget and have got some gorgeous bedding from Boot fairs for next to nothing, the most i've paid for a double duvet cover sheet and pillow cases are £3 for the set, also put a request on Freecycle / Freegle, or Gumtree and watch for people giving them away., last week i got some lovely stuff suitable for quilt backs, all they need is a freshen up, good luck am sure you'll find things,
Old 09-13-2014, 01:36 PM

and be sure and 'share' to family and friends, that you like to quilt, 'but that it is terribly expensive', maybe you will be gifted old shirts, material, etc.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:15 PM
Power Poster

Watch for sales and start buying a piece of fabric at a time. It will add up quick. Also watch the Thrift stores. I have got a lot of fabric there for under a dollar a piece. Some pieces are as big as three or four yards. Good Luck..