Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you use a Spacing Gauge to mark for Cross Hatch Quilting? >

Do you use a Spacing Gauge to mark for Cross Hatch Quilting?

Do you use a Spacing Gauge to mark for Cross Hatch Quilting?

Old 09-09-2014, 05:56 PM

The ladies of our guild use a piece of pre-formed wooden lattice from the hardware store to make uniform hatched designs on the quilts we produce for charity. They come in 8 foot panels, which is most convenient for large bed quilts. While storage of your notion photographed above would be easier I have no doubt, I often find that the old fashioned and humble in origin methods work best.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Eisy View Post
I just use painters masking tape to mark lines for quilting straight lines. Place tape, sew along side, remove tape and reuse it again. It lasts for several lines, than just replace it with new tape. Works for me & painters tape is pretty cheap.
This is what I use too. Works great.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
Is there a trick to using it?? Mine seems to move oe something because I can NEVER get straight lines. Or is it the operator?? LOL
Mine (Bernina) locks in with a thumb screw. It does take a bit of practice to get used to keeping one eye on the needle and one eye on the bar tip.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:29 AM
Power Poster

i have one of those... never thought to use it for my cross hatching... great idea
Old 09-11-2014, 03:30 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SweatyPie View Post
The ladies of our guild use a piece of pre-formed wooden lattice from the hardware store to make uniform hatched designs on the quilts we produce for charity. They come in 8 foot panels, which is most convenient for large bed quilts. While storage of your notion photographed above would be easier I have no doubt, I often find that the old fashioned and humble in origin methods work best.
this is a great idea too
Old 09-11-2014, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by SweatyPie View Post
I'm trying to picture how this would work. Lattice I've seen has boards going in both directions. How would you mark this, other than making small squares all over the quilt?
Old 09-14-2014, 10:32 AM

I used blue painters tape, cream masking tape works as well. I actually laid out the quilt, pinned the layers, then lain out the 1" tape leaving about an inch tween pieces then sewing along one side of each. This way i can just go across one way then flip to sew back the other way. It made simple quilting go quickly.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by gale View Post
I'm trying to picture how this would work. Lattice I've seen has boards going in both directions. How would you mark this, other than making small squares all over the quilt?
I would imagine you either connect the spaces in the lines or simply sew from one to the other since the spacing is no more than an inch. It's also entirely possible that only one side of each slat is traced resulting in a more open grid (lattice is typically 3" or 4" oc). I think it's a brilliant idea!
Old 09-14-2014, 12:58 PM

but both sides have wood crossing them. It's a grid so how would someone trace a line?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	wood-lattice-11378151.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	491581  
Old 09-14-2014, 12:59 PM

No idea why that picture shows up twice. I only inserted it once. Sorry.