2014 Fabric Moratorium

Old 09-12-2014, 04:56 AM
Power Poster

Emma, as long as you shopped your stash first, you can be acquitted of the 'malice of forethought crime'. We are trying to stop the OH! LOOK! PRETTY BATIKS! BUY 8 yards! purchases <sigh>. Buying something we don't have for a specific project, is perfectly acceptable. No dust on you!
I'm going to go pet my new batiks.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:26 AM

Several things come to mind,

This has elvoved into a cost savings event?? $1.00 a yard

And a question, is purchasing a kit accessible since they include a pattern and directions?

Another question, it sounds like you all have generous stashes, so how many yards do you purchase to build a stash? For example I only purchase 1/2 to 1 yard so is that considered stash material?

Calla
Old 09-13-2014, 04:14 AM

All I know, Calla, is that when I worked, I'd buy 1 yard pieces of fabric I just couldn't leave in the store. They sit and wait. They will become placemats for Christmas. For me, it's smarter to wait until I see a project I think will actually get finished and then go buy the fabric for it. My 'stash' isn't like some on here, but it's enough to hold me back from new projects.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:15 PM

Calla: My stash started when I was working and had more money than time. No I was never wealthy, just a frustrated quilter. I shopped the sales almost exclusively. Unlike Coopah and you, I almost never buy just a yard. Since the dream was always to make bed size quilts, which take almost nine yards a side I buy in 2, 3, and 4 yard increments thinking 4-5 color, 3 color and 2 color quilts. It is amazing how often I can pull a whole quilt easily out of my stash. The problem I'm having now is Coral is a color I have never been drawn to and a periwinkle is a color that I like so much that I constantly shop it to extinction in my stash. So ends my sad story.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:03 AM

Emma, in I re-read the rules, and no fabric to be purchased to start a top. However, special fabric and backing yardage is allowed so..............sounds like fat quarters for a top are out of the question. Therefore even my meager willy nilly odd yards are a stash ..........I got derailed and have 3 Halloween table runners to finish, pressing and add the buttons........calla
Old 09-14-2014, 08:41 AM
Power Poster

Calla, there are no rules , just suggested guidelines! The aim is to use up some of our stash, and avoid additional stash purchases. Just do what makes sense for YOU. The line about 'no fabric to start a top' should probably be re-written to say something like: unless you don't already have anything that will work. The way I've been doing it is shop my stash first but if I buy fabric and immediately use it in a quilt, that's just fine. If I buy anything (FQ, yardage, sheets from thrift store for backing etc.) and I don't really have a specific quilt in mind, I consider that stash building. Sadly, I'm an impulse buyer when it comes to fabric. Having to 'confess' my purchases has put a damper on my compulsion. I consistently delete emails about fabric sales, and JoAnn thinks I don't love her any more. I have a far from perfect record, but WAY better than I have been in previous years. Again, please do what makes sense for you!
Old 09-14-2014, 02:40 PM
Power Poster

Here is my little leftover top - I also found backing in the stash and plan to piece the batting.
Pulled out my little scraps last night and have been making crumb blocks. What fun! There is no rhyme or reason, you just sew scraps together and trim it down to the size you want. It's kind of like a wonky log cabin.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hearts_sm.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	219.9 KB
ID:	491618  
Old 09-14-2014, 06:58 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Emma S View Post
Calla: My stash started when I was working and had more money than time. No I was never wealthy, just a frustrated quilter. I shopped the sales almost exclusively. Unlike Coopah and you, I almost never buy just a yard. Since the dream was always to make bed size quilts, which take almost nine yards a side I buy in 2, 3, and 4 yard increments thinking 4-5 color, 3 color and 2 color quilts. It is amazing how often I can pull a whole quilt easily out of my stash. The problem I'm having now is Coral is a color I have never been drawn to and a periwinkle is a color that I like so much that I constantly shop it to extinction in my stash. So ends my sad story.
Oh this could be my story, but exchange the periwinkle to blue and anything paisley...
But--tonight just put the borders on a scrappy quilt from

http://weddingdressblue.wordpress.co...subscription-3

I've used a 4 x 4 setting instead of 5 x5 and added 6" borders. My GD has claimed it. Pulled the sashing and border from my stash. Em wants a flannel back and yes I have wide one, but it's about 6" too short. I think I can cut from the width and add to the length. I have to buy batting--have 2, but they are for larger quilts and hate to waste all that batting for a smaller quilt.

Here's the flimsy sans borders..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Odd man out.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	309.6 KB
ID:	491648  

Last edited by oksewglad; 09-14-2014 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:03 PM
Power Poster

Love the little ♥♥♥ hearts♥♥♥,MadQuilter.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:28 AM

Martina: What a pretty quilt! My family loves the use of multiple fabrics, as you did with the hearts, I've even started putting in some matches for them to find, What is it about the mindless joining of fabrics that is so much fun? Maybe the key word is mindless, right up my alley. Ok: Really like that pattern, the different size blocks with the sashing really steps up the interest. Have a lot of cut 2.5 inch blocks that would be perfect for it. Thanks for sharing! Paper Princess: As you well know, you are in good company here. I don't think there is a one of us that doesn't know "the curse" of impulse fabric buying. As you know, I have been very bad this month.