Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is Quilt In A Day? >

What is Quilt In A Day?

What is Quilt In A Day?

Old 09-14-2014, 04:04 PM

Eleanor Burns was the woman who brought modern assembly line methods to the quilting world. Her early methods made quilting so much easier, that she is considered the "Mother of Modern Quilting". Before Eleanor, there was cereal boxes, scissors, and needles, and not much else. She is also the one who helped change the attitude that "all quilts must be hand made to be called a quilt, no machines allowed". When I started quilting, I remember the quilt police were very active about how you made your quilt. Machine quilted or assembled quilts were not welcome in early quilt shows.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
Eleanor Burns was the woman who brought modern assembly line methods to the quilting world. Her early methods made quilting so much easier, that she is considered the "Mother of Modern Quilting". Before Eleanor, there was cereal boxes, scissors, and needles, and not much else. She is also the one who helped change the attitude that "all quilts must be hand made to be called a quilt, no machines allowed". When I started quilting, I remember the quilt police were very active about how you made your quilt. Machine quilted or assembled quilts were not welcome in early quilt shows.
It's a real shame that machine quilting has been "looked down upon" by some in the quilting world. Considering that machine quilting has been around nearly as long as sewing machines, it's quite ridiculous, IMO. Just for fun, I'll link to a couple things these short-sighted "quilt police" need to see:

http://www.quiltindex.org/basicdispl...?kid=4F-88-101

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/190769734190111086/
Old 09-15-2014, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Mamacandoit View Post
OK, I know this is probably a dumb question but I've googled and googled and not found out...
what is the Quilt In a Day method?

I live in the UK so I've not really come across Quilt In A Day before and to boot I'm a quilting newbie!

Can someone enlighten me pls? Is it a different technique not found elsewhere? Is it the same as Quilt-As-You-Go?

thank you in advance!
Quilt in a day confuses many new Patchwork/quilters.NO such thing!!!! There are many simple quilts that are fairly quick and easy,however this is not a method.Just look on this site for ideas and don't be confused by this title.Also don't be taken in by the many so called easy rulers on offer and therefore waste money,experienced patchworkers will show methods using 24" x 12" rulers and a good size square.I taught for twenty years and passed on this lesson after being taken in by money wasting ' new ' tools.You tube is full of ideas that can save you the expense .Where in the U.K. are you ? Love Letty.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:20 AM

Hi have you seen the shopping channel, Create and Craft,?, on a Sunday morning 8 till 9 am they have a quilting classroom and although it's to sell quilting items the class room is brilliant and you can catch up with those that have been on months ago, i also record any sewing that's on there, well worth a look, it's Sky and Freeview, have a look, i've learnt loads,