Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
handsewing hexies >

handsewing hexies

handsewing hexies

Old 09-19-2014, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by humbird View Post
I use the whip stitch, and manage to do a fair job, but have read several posts that people use the ladder stitch. I can see where that would be much less visible. Will try it on my next project. I have seen a tute on the ladder stitch with EPP. Perhaps if you Google ladder stitch/hexagons, something will come up. I think your hexie top is looking great!
my grandmother taught me to sew. i was not allowed to use whip stitch, not even for hems of dresses. ladder stitch, or as she called it, hidden stitch was the only finishing stitch she allowed. she said the stitches should never show. couple threads at a time. i use ladder/hidden stitch for bindings, closeing softsculpture/plush dolls, and hand peicing hexies etc. there are many many tutes - photo & video - on web. just enter either term. i use regular sewing thread for cotton fabrics, but button thread, of course, for dolls etc. stitches still don't show.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Macra View Post
I average 18 sts to the inch whip stitching most hexagons together, and yes, you can 'just' see the stitches, but it's quite usual to use thread that blends in and that means the stitching isn't so noticeable. Even on silk using silk thread the stitching does show a little (usually 25st to the inch on that). Your hands find a rhythm and the pieces come together quite quickly.
Thing is though; you show your stitches when you quilt, why should neat and tidy and even hand stitches not be seen on hexagons, or other paper pieced patches, too ?

Mary
I too use a whip stitch. As I am 1400 hexies into my quilt, I have noticed that I have gotten better at hiding my stitches. I am using a neutral thread, Coats & Clark Dual Duty XP. I started out doing 12-14 stitches per side and now I do 18-20. I also don't do my whip stitch at an angle. I put my needle straight into both hexies so my stitches are straight across the seam instead of at an angle. My stitches are pretty much invisible from the front unless I happen to take too big of a bite of my Hexie fabric. Using card stock for my templates helps me take just a small bite of the fabric, better than plain paper does as the card stock is harder to sew through. If it is hard to push my needle thru, I know that I am trying to sew thru the template. I just pull my needle out and take a smaller bite of fabric.

i really think the secret is to take smaller bites and use more stitches.

Last edited by auntpiggylpn; 09-19-2014 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:23 PM

I use the whip stitch and a 50 wt thread. I don't have problems with the stitching showing on the front.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:43 PM

I would never use whip stitch to put up a hem....herringbone all the way or if it's in silk then a rolled hem is more usual.

I only use the hidden ladderwork stitch if I'm sewing etuis or maybe closing a seam on something stuffed.
Hexagons are whip stitched together to keep the stitching tight and the seams, even if they've been cut on the diagonal, all the same length. They don't move or stretch. Ladderwork eases slightly since in effect its really just a running stitch worked sideways.
If it works for you; fine by the time whip stitch is properly seated the fabrics are almost impossible to seperate though.

Like Auntiepiggylpn the actual stitch through is straight, with the tiny little diagonal lying on the underside across the seam.

Until very recently I had never made patchwork any other way than over papers.
I'm finding machine patchwork a right royal pain in the backside to do accurately, and a major frustration to get anywhere near as neat it's an awful lot quicker though

Another advantage with papers is that even if I've put my sewing away in a box, I can pick it up months later and it still just flows together, piece after piece after piece, and they all lie flat and even.

Mary

Last edited by Macra; 09-19-2014 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:00 PM

Mine show and I still love it! I'm using the thin posters from walmart, drawing, then cutting by hand, same for fabric. The thread I'm using was given to me from a neighbor who worked in a suit making factory, it is all on bobbins, is very fine, and strong. Using the 1 inch Marti Michell template, but with seam allowance too, so sides are just a tad over 1 and 1/4, doing whip stitch, approx 30-32 stitches per side. I am SEW ADDICTED to them, I can't get anything else done! LOL!
Old 09-19-2014, 08:55 PM

Yes to the ladder stitch! I really don't want my stitches showing.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:19 PM
Power Poster

Fine thread (I use 100 wt. Silk) in a neutral will blend in, disappear. Medium gray seems to blend best for me
Old 09-20-2014, 04:24 AM
Power Poster

It doesn't bother me to see my stitches if have to look close to see them. I'm more focused on the design and colors then if the stitches are invisible or not. I don't try looking close enough to check for stitches on someone's hexies.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:18 AM

I had never really paid attention to how much the stitches show on the front. I have used both the ladder stitch and the whip stitch. I have more luck with the whip stitch. I just went to look at some of my blocks. It doesn't show much. For me the whip stitch shows less. I use a thin card stock. As you can see my stitches are not perfect but they work for me. I stitch for the enjoyment of making something with my hands.
Everyone has a different preference to how things should look.
As with doing quilting stitches. I like bigger stitches,others prefer tiny stitches.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	hexes 012.JPG
Views:	997
Size:	196.4 KB
ID:	492435   Click image for larger version

Name:	hexes 009.JPG
Views:	971
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	492436   Click image for larger version

Name:	hexes 007.JPG
Views:	964
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	492437  
Old 09-20-2014, 05:29 AM

Sorry for the duplicate pictures.Not sure what happened. Tried to delete but no luck.
As for the thread I use when doing hexes. I like a quilting thread but I have so many spools with a little thread left that I have been trying to use it all up.