Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Use or preserve baby quilt >

Use or preserve baby quilt

Use or preserve baby quilt

Old 09-22-2014, 03:28 PM
Power Poster

i make my quilts to be used and loved
Old 09-22-2014, 04:09 PM

So many of the young mothers are urged not to use quilts in the crib with young babes as a precaution against SIDS. I feel that may be why baby quilts are often stored away or hung on the wall rather than used. Thus, I prefer to make my gifted quilts either smaller, suitable for use in the car over a car seat, or larger, suitable for the toddler who is finally moving to the "big kid bed".
Old 09-22-2014, 04:58 PM

Definitely used - there are a few baby quilts that are really worn out now. I guess I should make new quilts for those "babies."
Old 09-22-2014, 05:35 PM

I make quilts to be used and loved. I want kids to drag them around, use as a park quilt or whatever. I want them loved. Please don't put my quilt up in a closet to "save" for later. I don't intend to make heirlooms.

As for babies, I tell parents to toss mine on the floor for baby tummy time. If it gets spit up on, wash it!

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 09-22-2014, 07:57 PM
Power Poster

I always tell people to use it, i'll make more.

Just got re acquainted with a cousin and now I have an outlet for my quilty stuff. She's crazy over the stuff i make.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:08 PM

When I make quilts for the kids of my family, they are given with very strict instructions that they are to be USED, and that they will not get another one unless the previous one is worn out ! LOL needless to say, they are all well used and abused , and I like it that way !
Old 09-22-2014, 11:29 PM

I have made beautiful ones that hang up and also used...both are being used....isn't artwork on the wall used? For my first and "special" great nephew I made a quilt that turned out so adorable...Noah's ark...that is is hanging on a rod...then I made him another one to cuddle with...
Old 09-23-2014, 02:55 AM

I, too, make them to be used/loved. The latest one I made for a friend is hanging over the baby's crib. Guess that's where the new one I'll be starting for his little brother will end up as well. I tell folks they are made to be used, puked on and pooped on, on the floor, whatever. That's what washing machines are for. Not sure how many actually get used that way, however.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:03 AM

Ah, so many "things" packed away and never enjoyed. The China, the silver, quilts, ....all waiting for......when? That rainy day?

My friends' MIL passed when in her 80's. Dee has her complete set, never used glass dishes still in the oiginal box from the 1930's. use the quilts.

Sandy
Old 09-23-2014, 03:39 AM

I try to make my baby quilts bigger, for babies to grow into. When I gift them, I include a note which is written from the quilt's point of view asking to "please use me, love me let me used to make forts in the living room on rainy days and taken along on backyard campouts. I want to be worn out with love" My sisters are really good about using the quilts I've given their children, and I recently visited the neighbors, and found their baby's quilt in the corner of the living room with some of their child's favorite toys. The quilt has obviously been washed a few times. Makes my heart sing to see them use it.