Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight high costs .... why? >

Featherweight high costs .... why?

Featherweight high costs .... why?

Old 09-23-2014, 12:20 PM

I love mine and piece almost every quilt on it. I paid 250 and would love a repaint because of decal wear but... it's the only FW I need and I have no illusions that it's not going to pay for my retirement. I would rather pay $250 for a fabulous machine that I can service myself to piece on than pay thousands for a machine with lots of bells and whistles that I don't use. It does irk me some when people poo poo other vintage machines (not here of course) but there is a good point made that other vintage machines don't get the respect they deserve.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:47 PM

I want a painted one too - but not painting the ones I have - they're too nice and I just can't paint something that doesn't 'need' it..sigh...but I want a midnight blue metallic like the old crayola color- loved that color when I was a kid! I still wnt to find one of those Morse hot pink machines - didn't grab the one someone posted was on ebay - was being 'good' with my budget and now wish I hadn't been LOL!
Old 09-23-2014, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by crocee View Post
The old adage of supply and demand. The demand is high for the cute, little, lightweight machines and since they are no longer made the supply is somewhat limited. I've never entertained paying so much for a vintage machine and around here they go for $500 and up. If I found one in the $25-$30 range I MIGHT consider it.
My thoughts too. If I am supposed to buy one, the price will be in your range. I think they are cute and would make a nice decoration. (As I duck!)

sandy
Old 09-23-2014, 07:29 PM

Thanks for the uplift for the 301.. I have a lovely cabinet, but it is wonderfully portable, also, plus only 4 pounds heavier than the FW... it is a wonderful machine.......BUT, I still look for a fw for me someday.......
Old 09-24-2014, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
They ARE really cute, but as someone who is "new" to the world of vintage sewing machines, I think there are a lot of other machines that are much more interesting looking and probably sew just as well.

I get caught up in fads sometimes, and at my guild classes someone always has their FW out so I wanted one for a little bit too, but every time I thought about actually having one I realized I didn't actually want to use it. Yes it's small and portable, but I bought a modern small/portable machine that does way more than a FW can...so why would I need a FW too?

I'm glad I know about them, so if I see one at a garage sale for ten bucks I'll know it's worth it. But barring a killer deal like that...nah. Not for me. Adorable...but not for me.

(I DO like the custom-painted ones, but again...I'd probably rather get a more interesting-looking machine custom-done. )

That's what happened to me....heard how great it was...had to have one! Got one for $200.... Decided I don't like it...now stuck with it...no one wants it..so it sits in the corner......give me new and more than straight stitch.....
Old 09-24-2014, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Sewing machine prices are always interesting to me. When I look at the prices I pay-I haven't paid more than $25 for a machine yet-I'm actually a little bit saddened by the incredibly low value people put on them. You have to pay way more to get any sort of quality machine today and frankly most new machines aren't as well built at any price. There may be an all metal one out there, I don't know. The bigger question may not be "Why are featherweights priced so high?" but instead "Why are most used sewing machines priced so low?". They may not have all the bells and whistles of the newer machines but with just minimal care they are fully capable of still sewing long after the best of the new ones become landfill. There are examples of early machines approaching 150 yrs old that will still sew.
Rant over
Rodney

I -completely- agree with what Rodney said.

Too add: How much do people pay for an entry-level plastic-fantastic machine at Wal Mart? How much do people spend on fabric cutting mats and pizza-cutter fabric wheel cutters? It is kinda funny, but for these throw-away items, people pay far more than most are willing to pay for an old Singer 15 machine! I do agree with Joe and others, that there is a FW mania, as compared with other vintage machines; however, I really do believe that these vintage machines are undervalued. FWs are also, in my opinion, undervalued - honestly, could you even manufacture the case in that quality for less than $80 nowadays? Think of the man-hours involved in making even a presser foot of that quality (on a FW or ANY of these old machines). All of these old stitchers are true gems, and we are spoiled to be able to afford them, considering that back in the day, they cost the household equivalent of $2000, and were generally paid off over the course of a few years.

p.s. If you are elderly or injured, lifting 11 pounds vs lifting 22 pounds is a very big deal - so I can certainly see why someone would want a FW to take to piecing events.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:54 AM

I have a FW. And 301s may be only 4# heavier. But doggonit! You cannot possibly compare the cute factor of a FW to a 301. I sew all my quilt tops on my FW. I have a Kenmore that I really love too but it's soooo heavy. Also have a Brother that does embroidery and 3 treadles. I really loooooovvvvvve my FW (it was a gift from my daughter and it was made in my birth year and it's OLD.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:20 PM

Reading about all these vintage/old machines makes me so wish I knew what kind of a machine I started on as a little girl. I am now 69 years old and I am a quilter so I sew on a 6600 Janome which has all I want and I have a 2006 mechanical Elna which is my traveling machine. There isn't anyone left to ask what my Mom used and used a lot - made a lot of my clothes. I do know I started on a Singer treadle and then my Mom got a black Portable - maybe it was a FW. Enough rambling on - just wanted to share this and if any of you "young" quilters out there still have your Moms around you may want to find out this info.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
You're just looking to stir things up, aren't you.
I can't explain it either Joe. For far less than half the price and only 4 more pounds give or take you can have a 301 with more work area and just as good of performance. Although they're popular too, they don't seem to have the wow factor of the featherweights.
But then I never really have gone with the crowd on most things. I like being different.
Rodney
I have a FW, but it doesn't like me. Inherited from my mil. Every time I go to use the FW, something has to be tuned on it. Now the light bulb won't stay in. So it gets to stay in it's case and I use my 301 all day long. I have a 301 in a desk cabinet as back up. Love my 301's LOL
Old 09-24-2014, 01:15 PM

FWIW, I'm just too big for a half-sized machine and my practical side would prefer a Keatherweight any day (size, features, cost).