Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have learned to hate square quilts >

I have learned to hate square quilts

I have learned to hate square quilts

Old 09-27-2014, 02:42 PM

I'm meekly standing in the corner raising my hand to say I only design square quilts, only make square quilts, and only use square quilts...on walls, couches, chairs and beds. It's simply a more balanced format to my eye. However, I, too, am sorry the pattern didn't work out as you anticipated.
Old 09-27-2014, 02:56 PM

I don't mind square quilts. They can be useful as lap quilts, throw quilts, baby quilts, wall quilts, and supplemental warmth on a bed. The only thing they're not really good for is using as bedspreads.
Old 09-27-2014, 02:58 PM

I too like the square quilts. Squares are my favorite shape. As my great grandson sent me a card when I had my joint replacements-- it's hip to be square.

It seems a little silly to be angry at the pattern designer though. Do they not clearly indicate the dimensions of the finished quilt? It's then on you to decide if those dimensions meet your needs. If not, you can certainly find other patterns that are the size and shape you want, or you can adapt the pattern to be exactly what you want. I, like one posting above me, use square quilts over a more neutrally colored comforter or duvet, on point so to speak. The effect is pleasing and it's a very practical way to incorporate a variety of quilts into your decor.
Old 09-27-2014, 03:24 PM
Power Poster

How about making matching pillow cases/shams. The quilt will cover the portion of the bed not under the pillows & the pillows will just match.
I love square quilts!
Old 09-27-2014, 03:27 PM

Yea, I'm not real fond of square quilts either. I will either make it as a rectangle or avoid the pattern.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 09-27-2014, 04:13 PM
Power Poster

I like the square format for some designs. For sleeping under, I definitely prefer a rectangular one.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:55 PM

I thought it was only me. I have been wondering why so many are designed to be square. Even a throw for snuggling on a couch works better as a rectangle.
When I wanted to add a pillow tuck to a QR code quilt, I even had a lot of trouble finding any information on how big that should be.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:01 PM

Instead of trying to enlarge it to fit a bed why not make a neutral quilt the size you want on your bed then make a square quilt, place it on point over the neutral quilt. It will add a pop of color without having to redo all the directions.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:20 PM

I too find square quilt not suitable for a bed quilt. So many of the beautiful paper pieced patterns are for square quilts... it's a bummer.
Old 09-28-2014, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingHaven View Post
Well, I learned early on in quilting (started 4 years ago after retiring from teaching) that I look at the pattern and then "fix" it so it fits the bed I want it to fit. I don't think that I have made any quilt the way that it was designed. I add additional sashings on the bottom or on the sides to make it fit the way that I need it for the bed that "needs" it. Sometimes there is only one size listed and I figure out how to add an extra row of blocks across the quilt or add to the top or bottom. And like those who have posted, I don't like square quilts either.
Yes, pretty much what I do....noticing in almost all mags the featured quilts are those useless 54"x67" or whatever size....for what? I make quilts for beds. So I have to add whatever to get size I want.......I like when the pattern shows additional sizes....... Just me!