Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
September Mini Quilt Swap >

September Mini Quilt Swap

September Mini Quilt Swap

Old 09-28-2014, 12:24 PM

Love your squirrel
Old 09-28-2014, 03:32 PM

Very pretty nine patch, Likethedog, especially with the range of seasonal colors.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:06 PM

MizMelly, love your Turtle!
Old 09-28-2014, 05:55 PM
Power Poster

MizMelly that squirrel is so pretty. I have been trying to get the hang of paperpiecing. I have to rip out one piece again. lol... But it's fun in the process too.

Tlambing that last sneak peak is really something. You have us sitting on the edge of our seats now. lol...It's pretty!

Likethedog that mini is so pretty. Me and my husband both think it is like looking out a window, and seeing the changing leaves. That is a nice effect.

Rhonda I thought of my dad when you mentioned getting out your pumpkins and gourds. He always had lots of gourds to use as bird houses. Some he use to put up high for the Martins to nest in.

Bilben I am also curious about your avatar.

MizMelly that is a good picture of the tortoise. We had a run in with a big turtle by our yard a couple of years ago. The dogs kept barking so we went out to see what they were barking at. We suddenly seen him or her, and out come a big long head. lol.. It had such a prehistoric look about it. There is a hidden pond out from our land, but close where water naturally stays there, and I think that is where he came from. Snakes go there too for a drink. Yikes!

Great Work Everyone!!!!
Old 09-28-2014, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by MizMelly View Post
Thanks Kiffie, I never thought about that but you are right! Esmeralda is sporting a cool quilt design on her shell. If you look close, you can see a healed over crack on the side. I found her roaming through my front yard when she was just a little tyke (about 5 years old). My friend who is a wildlife biologist with the US Fish and Wildlife Service said it looked like she got stepped on as a baby. Anyway, she will always have that healed crack. I should make a provision for her in my will. Did you know that Desert Tortoises can live up to 150 years? Especially those in captivity. We estimate that Esmeralda is somewhere's close to 12 years old, and quite large since she's been in captivity since a hatchling. It's hard to say if she was illegally picked up in the desert or just escaped from someone's yard. They are endangered in the wild.
Anyway, she's loving all the lovely wet weather we're having! And I live on higher ground, so no worries about flooding. (tortoises can't swim)!!
That's my nature lecture for the day!
Good thing Esmeralda has a nice family to live with! I didn't know much about that type of turtle, so I found your nature lecture quite interesting.
K
Old 09-29-2014, 07:25 AM

We used to live in California City, CA which was 5 miles from the Desert Tortoise Preserve. It had no boundaries, and during our 5 years in Cal City, we had 3 visit us. One was under our car in our driveway, one in our yard, and one made its way into our garage, right near the kitchen door. We really enjoyed them.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:52 AM

I wanted to say that Linny sent me the most adorable wall quilt. its done in rich tones of gold and cranberry with gold thread. There are beautiful leaves each pieced with six or seven rows of different batik fabric. ITs stunning. I hope she took a picture to hep me post it but if not I will ask Steve to take one with his phone later today. My camera is out of batteries currently (sad). Thank you so much for such a wonderful wall hanging. I am beyond pleased. oh yes and she sent TWO fat quarters of rich Christmas fabric. my favorite kind of fabric as a little extra. How lucky is that? I cant wait til next months swap looks to be a fun swap.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:15 PM

I'm tickled you like your quilt Linda. I love Fall colors too, especially in the quilt you made. If you don't mind I would like to use your ideas to make one something very similar. I hung my gorgeous little quilt on the wall already as everyone will see in a few minutes.....don't have a proper hanger, but will get one when I go out tomorrow. Thank you ever so much. Also, thank you for the Fall fabrics...will put them to good use.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1801.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	493570   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1800.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	493571   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1799.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	493572   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1798.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	493573   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1797.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	493574  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1796.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	493575  
Old 09-29-2014, 03:20 PM

Well, a little trouble selecting ones to upload, but at least they came through. I do apologize for not taking better pictures. Most importantly, I love my quilt and it looks wonderful hanging by the window.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:21 PM

I must be getting tired.........Linda (Elisabrat) did the trees
Linny did the leaves