Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Featherweight Sewing Machine >

Featherweight Sewing Machine

Featherweight Sewing Machine

Old 09-28-2014, 05:39 AM

If everything is there...I would offer 100-200 which is fair to me but then again depends on the age/condition of it. I brought my white one at an estate sale for 30 but paid 45 to have it checked and cleaned. See what they say at 150 but be prepared to go up some....
Old 09-28-2014, 08:15 AM

I gave $160.00 for mine at an auction, so the price varies. It is in tip top shape and absolutely great finish and gold on it, so it depends on how badly you want it. You can always go up in price, but you can't come down once you have made an offer. I love my little FW and it has the attachments and a great case as well. I have seen them go as little as 25.00 too, so there is a big range of prices. The one I bought was an aunts machine and I thought I was going to get it more cheaply than I did, but a fellow jumped in at the last minute for a few bids.

They are a great little machine and easy to take with you to classes.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:03 PM

How is your idea going about asking the price of the FW? So many have said it depends on where you are looking; sometimes South is cheaper, sometimes not. I bought my last one in Alabama for $275, not in tip top shape, but the person who owned it "knew what she had and wasn't caring whether she sold it that day or not" and DH and I had been looking for one over six months, so he was determined to be done with the "chase" so he said OK (after I had already walked away in a huff).....but for all practical purposes, it is wonderful. The GD and I have pieced our last six quilts on it--she loves it and so do I.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:21 PM

We looked for a feather weight for a very long time. One day my DH went into a shop that sells most things cheap to help people with their electric and other things. He came in with this machine for 20.00 and said I think I got you a feather weight and I thought he didn't have enough money to buy that. But he said he gave 20.00 for it. I looks like a feather weight, gold and all still good. Box is good but when I typed everything about it on the internet it came up saying this machine is a sister to the FW. Don't know what that means but the machine is so pretty and I have never taken it back out of its box.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
We looked for a feather weight for a very long time. One day my DH went into a shop that sells most things cheap to help people with their electric and other things. He came in with this machine for 20.00 and said I think I got you a feather weight and I thought he didn't have enough money to buy that. But he said he gave 20.00 for it. I looks like a feather weight, gold and all still good. Box is good but when I typed everything about it on the internet it came up saying this machine is a sister to the FW. Don't know what that means but the machine is so pretty and I have never taken it back out of its box.
It sounds like you might have a black 301. Still a good score for that price. You should use it, these old gals love nothing more than to be used.

Cari
Old 09-28-2014, 05:53 PM

In Michigan I've seen them as much as $600 at quilt stores. THey are beautiful and work great at that price.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:50 AM

I bought one a few years ago at an auction from a neighbor, so I knew the machine had been well cared for. It came with all attachments, as well as a table, and I had to outbid an antique buyer so I paid $310 for it.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:29 AM

llweezie, One question first -- is this FW being sold by an individual or by a store? If the seller is an individual, ask them if they know the history of the machine. (With many machines, it was their mother's, aunt's, grandmother's and has been sitting in a closet, the basement, the attic, etc.) If it is a store, ask how they acquired the machine. Also, ask if they know when it was last serviced. I have a tan FW, and in the case is a receipt for the last service dated 1985. Ask them if it sews. Clean is cosmetic, and you need to know if it will operate. If they are in your area, ask if you can try the machine out. If they aren't close to you, ask them if there is a money-back guarantee if the machine doesn't work. Also, ask if the bobbin case is included, as that is an additional $50 expense if it isn't there. If you can see the machine, the better the condition of the finish and the decals, the higher the price.

I have 6 FWs, -- 4 black, 1 white and one tan. I purchased them all on eBay, and I didn't pay over $225 for one of them (and that included the shipping costs). I found that a machine is worth what you are willing to pay for it.

Maniac, white FWs are no more "rare and valuable" than the black ones. They are newer, being made in the early 60's instead of in the 1930s - 1950s, but they are as wonderful as the blacks. IMHO, the tans are harder to find, mainly because I think people don't want to let go of them.

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
You might check online prices on eBay. I had the opportunity to buy a white one but wasn't sure if it was a good price so I passed. Later found that it was very rare and valuable. Good Luck. You might check the posts in "For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts"
Old 09-29-2014, 09:35 AM

Poodles, Look up the serial number on your machine. It will be stamped into a plate affixed to the bottom of your machine. http://www.singerco.com/support/machine-serial-numbers . It might be a model 301, which is often called the big sister of the FW, as it weighs only a few pounds more. The major difference is that the 301 is a slant foot and the FW is a straight foot. It comes in a box that looks like a suitcase, not a square box like the FWs. I bought a 301 for my daughter (I couldn't bear to give up any of my FWs) and after we oiled and lubed it, it sews like a dream. You might be pleasantly surprised, if that is what your machine is.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:00 AM

mckwilter, you must be one lucky devil to have gotten all of those from Ebay at that price!

I bought one a few months ago from a private party for $250. That is considered CHEAP for my area. Most are $300 and above and they don't seem to be very plentiful here.