Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Darning/Embroidery on Vintage Singers >

Darning/Embroidery on Vintage Singers

Darning/Embroidery on Vintage Singers

Old 10-01-2014, 07:55 AM

Default Darning/Embroidery on Vintage Singers

I’ve gotten interested in darning and embroidery on old Singer sewing machines, and Singer made several vintage hopping feet through the years that I want to play with to see if I can learn to use them. This first post is about a combination of machine, darning attachment, and feed cover plate that don’t work together.

I had tried to darn or embroider some text on a signature block in a 9-patch quilt block, and ran into problems trying to use Singer Darning Needle Clamp #86294 on a 1901 Singer 27K2 with the feed set at zero but no cover plate. It didn’t work well at all. Thread nesting and thread breakage were the result. I thought maybe it needed a feed cover plate to help it work.

So, I looked around for a feed cover plate, and tried the Singer #121309 Cover Plate that fits several Singer machines, but I learned that it doesn’t fit the model 27. The plate attachment hole won’t reach to the bed screw hole to attach it. So now, I’m trying to figure out if there was another feed cover plate for the model 27, or if I’m trying to use the darning needle clamp on the wrong machine.

The User Manual for models 27 & 28 addresses darning as such:
“INSTRUCTIONS FOR USING ATTACHMENTS WHICH MAY BE USED WITH SINGER SEWING MACHINE No. 27 & 28

NOTE. Before applying any of these attachments raise the needle and remove the presser foot. After substituting the attachment turn the hand wheel slowly over towards you to make sure that the needle passes through the centre of the needle hole.

Darning by sewing machine is infinitely neater, stronger, and more quickly done than by hand. A tiresome task becomes a pleasure! Read how to do this in separate pamphlet, Form 1001 ad 33, which may be obtained free from any SINGER SEWING CENTRE or Singer Salesman.”

I don't have the pamphlet, so it’s that “pleasure” that is eluding me thus far.....

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Darning_Foot_86294_03.jpg
Views:	1358
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	493789   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cover_Plate_121309_01.jpg
Views:	1339
Size:	174.3 KB
ID:	493790  

Last edited by ThayerRags; 10-01-2014 at 07:58 AM.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:11 AM

Interesting FB page on this very topic, and the work they show is totally incredible! Worse case scenario, remove the feed dogs? I've played a little, keep us posted!
Old 10-01-2014, 08:13 AM

It may just be the way I'm looking at it but it looks backward. If you take the needle plate off and spin the darning plate around it looks like the screw hole will line up.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:17 AM

This will be a fun thread to watch. Fun, as long as it isn't ME doing the experimenting! :-)
Old 10-01-2014, 08:19 AM

I've read where some people cover the feed dogs with a business card or something like that. They tape it down on the bed and serves the purpose of the metal feed dog cover. I don't know if they pre-punch a hole for the needle or if they let that happen naturally as the needle goes up and down. I am anxious to see your work. I too have an interest in that kind of machine embroidery but haven't taken a stab at it yet.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:26 AM

CD if you go to that FB page (classic sewing machine embroidery artists there is a good video. No foot at all, just a hoop.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:13 AM

I’ve seen the “no foot - hoop” method of darning in several Singer User Manuals, and need to give that a try someday too. Have you tried it yet Jim? I’ll have to admit that I’m hung-up on the older hopping attachments for the moment. There was also a presser bar mounted hopping foot #121094 that seems more popular than the needle bar mounted one. Maybe the needle bar mounted one didn’t pan out too well? I can’t seem to find much information on the #86294 model. Maybe it’s kind of like the Singer Zigzag attachments....not too practical?

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Darning_Foot_121094_01.jpg
Views:	1351
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	493793  
Old 10-01-2014, 09:45 AM

It's only a "pleasure" if you've been doing it by hand with a darning egg and needle. And I expect you are going to need a hoop of some sort to keep your fabric snug - just like with a regular embroidery machine.

I've got the Singer "Teacher's guide" pup. 1925. While it has several pages on how to darn, all it says is "the 127 cover plate is attached with a screw" but shows no pictures.

My newer book, Singer Instructions for Machine Embroidery and Lace Work, pup. 1941 is of little help for your problem- it says to disengage the feed dogs, then install the proper cover plate based on the particular style of machine.

BTW - if you really want to learn something neat, get that second book. It shows some amazing work that can be done. I believe there is a site with a free download of it available.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:03 AM

Will the feed cover plate that comes with a buttonholer fit?
Old 10-01-2014, 10:12 AM

CD,I did try it bit on a Singer which requires a lot of hand, eye, and foot coordination. Next time I'll try it on one of the 2 treadles that have built in anti-reverse treadling features.