Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Top 10 Reasons To Sew With A Treadle >

Top 10 Reasons To Sew With A Treadle

Top 10 Reasons To Sew With A Treadle

Old 10-04-2014, 05:03 PM

Cari I just posted a screaming deal this morning on one in the Giggles thread it it's still there. It's the same cabinet I just restored for Ella and 2 machines for $30.
Rodney
Old 10-04-2014, 05:05 PM

I'm not sure this one belongs in the "top ten", but, it can be a topic of conversation when meeting new people.
Old 10-04-2014, 06:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Cari I just posted a screaming deal this morning on one in the Giggles thread it it's still there. It's the same cabinet I just restored for Ella and 2 machines for $30.
Rodney
I'm not buying any more machines right now. Really. All my money this month will be going in my gas tank.

Cari
Old 10-04-2014, 11:49 PM

I know that feeling all too well.
That's why I haven't been jumping on any deals either. I still like to look though.
Rodney
Old 10-05-2014, 12:31 AM
Banned

Same here, but sometimes it gets depressing. I made myself feel a little better by bidding on some accessories tonight.

Cari
Old 10-05-2014, 04:56 AM

Yup.

Yobrosew: Can you still buy ribbons for old typewriters? Some of the old ones are really cool. They have the same problems as sewing machines though. People buy them to rip the buttons off for jewelry and other things. I've seen steampunk keyboards with the typewriter buttons replacing the keys. Some examples are better than others.
Rodney
Yes can still buy ribbons. We were surprised our local Staples and Office Max have them even.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:12 AM

Loved this!! And those are the top 10 reasons I want one. I lived with an aunt my freshman year of college and sewed on her treadle all the time and loved it!
Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
1. If the power goes out, I can still sew (even if I can’t see what I’m sewing and I'm freezing to death).

2. I can save a lot of money on electric bills (although I’d probably save more by just turning the lights off when I left rooms).

3. It’s my way of joining the “Go Green” movement (and not having to give up any of the other fuel-wasting and environment-damaging luxuries that I enjoy).

4. It’s my way to connect with my fore-mothers and their more primitive lives (no wonder they were so grumpy sometimes, especially when they were sewing).

5. The technology of my machine is old enough that I’ve had time to learn how it works (without having to ask a 5th-grader).

6. I don’t have to put up with relatives always wanting to borrow my machine.

7. I don’t have to worry about turning it off or unplugging it when I quit sewing.

8. The machine won’t ever sew too fast and out-run me (although I can still out-run myself, and I have proven it).

9. I don’t need to find an extension cord to use it too-far from the plug-in.

10. The rhythmic sound of my treadle machine soothes me and brings a peace-of-mind to my inner being (until I jam the machine and break the thread, and then all bets are off).

These are my top 10, what are yours?

CD in Oklahoma
Old 10-05-2014, 02:25 PM

Great reasons why I may eventually have to buy one, though I understand that I could probably convert my 99 to a treadle (once I found a bottom and room ). However, I just looked that up and it may be better to just buy one, since I don't have a lot of equipment.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by caspharm View Post
Great reasons why I may eventually have to buy one, though I understand that I could probably convert my 99 to a treadle (once I found a bottom and room ). However, I just looked that up and it may be better to just buy one, since I don't have a lot of equipment.
If you have the room you won't have any regrets (other than becoming a Craig's List junky while you're looking). Converting a 99 to treadle isn't terribly difficult but it would be easier to find a machine that is already a treadle due to the 99 is 3/4 size and most bases are for full size machines.
I don't know how the antique and used sewing machine market is in your area. It seems too new to have much that's older than the 1950s.
I would love to spend time looking somewhere like the midwest or parts of the east coast that have been settled since forever. The west coast is too new too. Stuff from 1900 to present is easy enough but it gets much harder for antiques from before then.
Rodney
Old 10-05-2014, 04:01 PM
Banned

If you have the room you won't have any regrets (other than becoming a Craig's List junky while you're looking). Converting a 99 to treadle isn't terribly difficult but it would be easier to find a machine that is already a treadle due to the 99 is 3/4 size and most bases are for full size machines.
I don't know how the antique and used sewing machine market is in your area. It seems too new to have much that's older than the 1950s.
I would love to spend time looking somewhere like the midwest or parts of the east coast that have been settled since forever. The west coast is too new too. Stuff from 1900 to present is easy enough but it gets much harder for antiques from before then.
Rodney
I would love to go through the southwest looking for treasures. I was watching something on TV several years ago about people going through attics and basements of old saloons and rooming houses. In the drier states things were preserved in wonderful condition for their age. I don't remember if there were any old sewing machines on the show but I bet some are out there.

Cari