Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Darning/Embroidery on Vintage Singers >

Darning/Embroidery on Vintage Singers

Darning/Embroidery on Vintage Singers

Old 10-05-2014, 07:00 AM

After looking and watching videos, I'm going to have my husband modify one of my 15's so it can be a dedicated embroidery machine. First thing will be to solder up the thread guide right above the tension dial - I have problems with the thread popping out of that one and then not feeding into the tension correctly. I've been putting a piece of tape over it to close the hole.

Then he's going to take a presser bar and chop off the end so it's up out of the way - can't remove it completely because of the tension release. I'll make a large wood surface that will fit around the case, as I find I need to have the machine up higher when doing this - otherwise I find I'm hunching down to be able to get my eyes closer to my work.

Kind of funny - I have a Pfaff embroidery machine I bought used early this year - and have never done anything with it. And now I'm more excited to learn how to do it all by hand.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
....I'll make a large wood surface that will fit around the case, as I find I need to have the machine up higher when doing this - otherwise I find I'm hunching down to be able to get my eyes closer to my work.
I have one of those over-the-bed medical tables that I picked up in an auction, and years ago when I began doing some of the jeans mending at the shop, that little table was about the right size to set me up a little sewing area at my wife’s workstation. It telescopes up and down, and I got to using it with it up about chest-high and my freearm machine setting on it raising the work even more. I like my sewing surface up high! I’d have gone higher, but then my bifocals made me get a crink in my neck.....

I really miss that height when I’m using my treadles at home. I keep going to lower and lower stools to use with them. Pretty soon, my knees are going to be up close to my chin.....

CD in Oklahoma
Old 10-05-2014, 12:30 PM

I've been in a funk lately not wanting to do my "normal" type of sewing. Doing machine embroidery using a normal sewing machine has always fascinated me.

So, yesterday I took out an 8" wooden embroidery hoop, covered it with white cotton strips, and put in my fabric. To start out with I decided to use an electric machine. I am using my recently gifted Necchi Supernova and her tension is beautiful.

I'll show a picture once I'm done if it isn't too bad. So far I've finished the flower and am now working on the surrounding foliage. The design I chose is more like red work rather than a totally filled in design and I think it is going pretty well.

I'm tracing the design on the fabric with a purple disappearing marker. I think I have rayon thread in the machine (it is a spool I found in a cabinet drawer and the spool doesn't have the label on it anymore). The needle is a Schmetz #90 embroidery needle. My upper tension is reduced to #1. I removed the foot and am using my left finger to keep the fabric tight against the needle plate. I am not using the single hole needle plate since there are places where I am using the zig zag stitch. I think the fabric would always stay above the needle plate if I used the single hole needle plate. The machine itself is a portable machine and I have it on top of my kitchen table. The work surface is nice and high and my eyes are inches away from the work which is allowing me to see very well. I also have an auxillary light on the hoop area.

Yes, I can see it will take practice, practice, practice and time, time, time. It is most definately not a "hit the button and walk away" process. I am not interested in those modern embroidery machines by the way.

I'm having fun and am making lots of mistakes. Forgetting to put my pressure foot down, bad drawing with the needle, are just some of the things I keep doing wrong. I've also had thread fraying issues a few times because I started going too fast.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:47 PM

It really sounds like a lot of fun to do but I'm kinda worried about that left hand finger. My luck I would sew right through it and get blood on the project
Old 10-05-2014, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by crocee View Post
...I'm kinda worried about that left hand finger. My luck I would sew right through it and get blood on the project.
Not a problem. You still have your right hand to put the bandage on your left hand finger.....just try to get your left finger released from the needle of the machine quickly before you bleed all over the place....(getting loose quick can happen)......

This stuff isn’t for the meek.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 10-05-2014, 01:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JudyTheSewer View Post
I've been in a funk lately not wanting to do my "normal" type of sewing. Doing machine embroidery using a normal sewing machine has always fascinated me.

So, yesterday I took out an 8" wooden embroidery hoop, covered it with white cotton strips, and put in my fabric. To start out with I decided to use an electric machine. I am using my recently gifted Necchi Supernova and her tension is beautiful.

I'll show a picture once I'm done if it isn't too bad. So far I've finished the flower and am now working on the surrounding foliage. The design I chose is more like red work rather than a totally filled in design and I think it is going pretty well.

I'm tracing the design on the fabric with a purple disappearing marker. I think I have rayon thread in the machine (it is a spool I found in a cabinet drawer and the spool doesn't have the label on it anymore). The needle is a Schmetz #90 embroidery needle. My upper tension is reduced to #1. I removed the foot and am using my left finger to keep the fabric tight against the needle plate. I am not using the single hole needle plate since there are places where I am using the zig zag stitch. I think the fabric would always stay above the needle plate if I used the single hole needle plate. The machine itself is a portable machine and I have it on top of my kitchen table. The work surface is nice and high and my eyes are inches away from the work which is allowing me to see very well. I also have an auxillary light on the hoop area.

Yes, I can see it will take practice, practice, practice and time, time, time. It is most definately not a "hit the button and walk away" process. I am not interested in those modern embroidery machines by the way.

I'm having fun and am making lots of mistakes. Forgetting to put my pressure foot down, bad drawing with the needle, are just some of the things I keep doing wrong. I've also had thread fraying issues a few times because I started going too fast.
Judy do you belong to the vintage Necchi group? If you do check out the pics of the embroidery that Sonny does with her Supernova. She can put an embroidery machine to shame with what she does free hand. It's absolutely beautiful. I played around with this type of work many years ago on my moms Brother machine but didn't have the patience to put in the practice.

Cari
Old 10-05-2014, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
Judy do you belong to the vintage Necchi group? If you do check out the pics of the embroidery that Sonny does with her Supernova. She can put an embroidery machine to shame with what she does free hand. It's absolutely beautiful. I played around with this type of work many years ago on my moms Brother machine but didn't have the patience to put in the practice.

Cari
I just put in my request to join the group a few minutes ago. Thanks for the suggestion! I'm looking forward to seeing Sonny's creations but I think I'll wait until mine is totally done so I don't get too discouraged - LOL!
Old 10-05-2014, 02:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JudyTheSewer View Post
I just put in my request to join the group a few minutes ago. Thanks for the suggestion! I'm looking forward to seeing Sonny's creations but I think I'll wait until mine is totally done so I don't get too discouraged - LOL!
No, don't let her work discourage you, everyone has to start somewhere and she's been at it for a long time. I can be in awe of someone else's work without it discouraging me from trying the same thing knowing that my skill and/or talent isn't up to that level. I get a little better AND make new mistakes(or the same ones) with every project I do.

Cari
Old 10-06-2014, 12:16 PM

Default Look mom, no blood!

Here are the results of my freehand embroidery. Some of the purple pen remains on the fabric but the package says it should disappear within days.

I chose an open design to start with. There is lots of room for improvement in my technique. I've done quite a bit of free motion quilting on small projects so drawing with a needle and thread is not a totally new technique for me. I think that previous experience was a great asset for doing this.

If I get good enough to do a "filled in" design I will share that later.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Embroidery Created On Necchi Automatic Supernova.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	494444   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hooping of Embroidery.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	494445  
Old 10-06-2014, 12:34 PM

Nice work, and thanks for showing it, Judy. Amazing how we can get a thrill out of learning something "new" eh?