Holiday Mug Rug Swap!!!

Old 10-08-2014, 03:57 AM

Ladysaint,
That's a beautiful mug rug!
I hope you don't mind, but if I can do it, I may try to make a similar one for my mom. This swap is my 1st try at a mug rug. Neither myself nor Mom have one, either. And I think yours is lovely and would be perfect for my Mom.

She celebrated 10 yrs in remission from lung cancer this past April. She only has 1 lung, and is on oxygen full-time..We fight pneumonia every now and again, but all in all she does pretty good. And we know we got a miracle!

I just finished her crazy quilt I'd been working on for over 3 yrs. I included some embellishments on one of the blocks that celebrate her strength and our blessings. A mug rug surely won't take me that long..lol

The awareness color for lung cancer is white, so I'll have to jazz it up with some silver or pearlized fabrics...I have an extra tiny white ribbon charm that says Survivor that maybe can be put towards the edge, so it won't cause a cup to wobble...
Suggestions are welcome, too

K

Last edited by kiffie2413; 10-08-2014 at 04:04 AM.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:31 AM

WOW have to say I think my feeling are hurt for someone to say they don't want to swap with me because I quilt with Civil War Reproduction fabrics. I stated in my post I made my choices easy with no special color or theme and that I also liked bright colors and hello kitty.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:13 AM

I love civil war also! So don't feel bad. :-)....my studio is hot pink though so I like it all just like you.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:15 AM

Mamaskeeto I'd be happy to make you a civil war repro mug rug! In fact I'd love to receive one too! In fact I just purchased a bunch of cw repro, FQs to start my dj in January. I'm so excited! And I LOVE the fabrics<3 My personal tastes are all across the board. My only true dislike are pastels, they just don't do it for me. So fear not, you are not alone....there are plenty of us out here that would love to be your sp.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Mamaskeeto View Post
WOW have to say I think my feeling are hurt for someone to say they don't want to swap with me because I quilt with Civil War Reproduction fabrics. I stated in my post I made my choices easy with no special color or theme and that I also liked bright colors and hello kitty.
I also enjoy civil war fabrics...no worries...there will be plenty of folk who will love to make you something special. It would be a boring world if we all loved the very same fabrics...I don't think anyone meant to hurt your feelings? Probably not realizing how things "read" at times?
Old 10-08-2014, 06:28 AM

I have a collection of civil war fabrics , DH even loves them. I also have Downton Abbey fabric collection.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:29 AM

don't worry about your request for civil war fabric. LOTs of people have it and love it so its no big deal at all. also same with the other choices.. what one loves is not unique. there are so many people with so much fabric and so many ideas and quiet often we get stuck in a rut ourselves. We have to do something that is out of the box and its OK. I have done this so many times I cant tell you. And often thought wow this is prettier than I thought it would be and learned a lesson on fabrics. Because it wouldn't fit in your home doesn't mean it wouldn't work well in someone elses. hope that cleared it up rather nicely

Sign ups are via PM to me. ONLY 1.5 days left to do it so get your tail moving! send those PM's.

oh I love pinks! I am such a sucker for the French country look even though my own house is not French country. I love hot pink and white too.. again my house is forest green, burgundy and ivory. talk about boring. when I shop for fabric I see bold prints! and florals and things that are not like my house at all. my fabric display brings out the other side to me I guess. the less conservative and more bold and exciting. I am sure even those who prefer one type of print have many others. We all make gifts for friends and family whose preferences are different than our own. My own daughter prefers only subtle shades of sage and cream for one room and reds and creams for another. my son prefers blues and whites or creams. My last son prefers batiks and bright bold colors. So I get a chance to work with lots of different fabrics and tones. I just made a baby quilt for my nephew. He wanted earth tones, browns and such for his new BABY DAUGHTER. groan! I wanted to make pink and white and maybe a hint of baby yellow ... but no.. had to whip up a true earth tone quilt. They loved it. I figure there is a fabric for every person. Sometimes you just have to search for it
Old 10-08-2014, 06:35 AM

Thank you all for the compliments. I have made tons of mug rugs for gifts, but never swapped. I am going to try and post pics of a couple more. Kiffie....I pray your mom stays in remission! We lost my sweet MIL in 1984 and she is the person that really taught me how to sew. I miss her terribly! So yes, still having her is a gift!! Do you have an embroidery machine? That rug was made entirely "in-the-hoop". I have another design that is even prettier, but cannot seem to find a pic of it.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:44 AM

Here is another that I made for my home. I love fleurdelis', love seafood and I am a Louisiana girl, so this fits me to a tee!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0751.JPG
Views:	346
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	494608  
Old 10-08-2014, 07:42 AM

Kiffie....Here is a picture of the stitchout from my software of one that has been very popular.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	in it together dots stitchout.JPG
Views:	390
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	494613