Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to build my stash >

How to build my stash

How to build my stash

Old 10-08-2014, 06:07 AM

Lots of good advice here. I would recommend that you consult a book on color (there are several excellent ones available on using color in quilts.) Don't just buy what you like. Think outside the box and try to get fabrics from at least the principal color groups (yellows, blues, greens, reds, etc.) You may not have much representation in colors like red-orange or blue-purple at first, but grounding yourself in the basics of the color wheel will help you create vibrant quilts. As others have recommended, don't overlook neutrals like taupe, beige, gray, etc. I never seem to have whites and creams when I need them. I'm not sure if I use them up or if I don't buy them in the first place because they aren't the things that attract me in the fabric shops.

Happy quilting!
Old 10-08-2014, 06:14 AM

Looks like a lot of suggestions here! When I was beginning, I shopped the remnant bins. Especially look for the basics of good blenders that will work with the things you fall in love with later.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:53 AM

when I started out I bought a lot of FQs just because I liked the fabric, most was never used in a quilt, recently I have been making small projects like pot holders, tissue holders and cosmetic bags. I quickly graduated to professional shopper status. When shopping for a specific pattern I round up to the next 1/2 yard measure. If the fabric is a "staple" I buy 6-8 yards, wide backs =4 yards is enough for a large quilt and small and stash, If I have no plan and I like it and it's a good deal, 8 yards = a blouse, a throw backing, quilt pieces and stash! Now I have enough fabric for any situation, my problem is how it is stored! I have 20 large totes, 10 small totes, a six drawer dresser and 3 gun cabnets with shelves and glassdoors
Old 10-08-2014, 06:59 AM

oops! I wasn't done! The totes are stacked to the ceiling and to heavy to lift, I don't know what's in them sooo... I buy more! BAD GIRL! My husband is starting to complain so it may have a hidden benefit and motivate him to build me the floor to ceiling shallow cabinets with glass door that I dream about! Now I'm done! LOL
Old 10-08-2014, 07:53 AM

One word of advice, don't forget to buy blenders. Apparently I've never met a feature fabric that I didn't like but I get very short on blenders to put with them. I'm a half hour drive from a quilt store so it's inconvenient when I'm sewing late at night and need something that reads as a solid.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:47 AM

I have been a clothes maker for years as was my mom before me. I have a lot of scraps from clothing I made for my children and grandchildren and fabric that has been given to me that I am putting together for mug rugs. I have also been going thru the remnant bins at local fabric store and getting out pieces from 1/2 to 1 yard. I also have a quilt I am making where I purchased material specifically for this project. If there is any material left from this, it will go into my stash. For any future quilts, I am sure I will buy what I need for the project, and any leftovers will go to the scrap stash.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:08 AM

If I find a fabric I really like, I will buy about three yards so that I can use it for anything. That is, I do when I am not trying to go one full year without buying any...I have 2 1/2 months to go
Old 10-08-2014, 10:19 AM

When I started I bought a lot of fat quarters... if I liked it I bought it. And I found out that I am not really scrappy at all!!! Still have most of them. For a long time I bought a yard and a quarter - back when fabric was 44/45 inches wide it made a nice square for a table topper or pillow. Now I get between 1 and 3 yards (5 if on sale and it would make a good backing)
Old 10-08-2014, 10:34 AM

Why buy stuff you don't need and can't use now? I have been visiting local LQS as I travel, and sometimes I feel obligated to buy something. After a visit to one store in LA, I now have FQ in what I was told was official New Orleans colors (Purple, bright green, gold trefoils, and black) and high-quality but dreadful-baby-print corduroys , most of which I will have to buy $100 of fabric to complement it and make something out of it, if I live long enough. Lesson learned.

Now I only buy sensible blenders or a brilliant pattern or a great pair of scissors or a special ruler or thread.

My advice is don't buy it unless you need it or you love it - and if you love it (like another poster said) go crazy! buy yards, because you will find it won't be around later. Fabric designs are produced in limited quantities and often sell out quickly.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:54 AM

When I buy just because I love it I usually get 1/2 yard or a yard. If something is on sale for a good price and I think it looks right for a boarder or backing I will get at least 2 yards for a board or 4 yds for a backing fabric. But that is only if I think I would really use it as a backing. Other wise I wait to get the backing when I have a quilt in mind.
I think onebyones suggestion is also very good to [have a good stock of solids and neutrals. ] and blenders.