Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stopping kitties from tossing your pieces on the floor >

Stopping kitties from tossing your pieces on the floor

Stopping kitties from tossing your pieces on the floor

Old 10-08-2014, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by mtkoldra View Post
this is what my cat used to do!
Yes, I know this one! -- I totally forgot that when I was laying out my big quilt I pinned every single square to the floor or a blanket. Between me needing to reach the center to make adjustments and the cats those squares moved so much!
Old 10-08-2014, 06:01 PM

What is the name of thatquilt pattern that is in your photo? I love it.
Robin in TX
Old 10-08-2014, 06:57 PM

My new sewing assistant is so diligent that I find I have had to also force her to take a break at times. LOL Here is my solution and so far it's working pretty well. I think it would defeat the fan also.
I took a heavier vinyl table cloth from the thrift store (a vinyl shower curtain would also work) and cut it into sections that I can use to cover my work when I am away from the sewing room. I have a long narrower piece for the ironing board, and some different size squares and rectangles for my sewing desk, cutting board and such. Just lay them over the work, and remove when I return. Miss Maple will lay on the covering but has yet to think of trying to remove one of them.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:01 PM

Unfortunately I can't have cats due to one of my dogs, but my dogs also reek havok on my quilts. When I have my big board out for various reasons there is always overhang just long enough for them to rub up against over & over to make sure everything is covered in dog hairs UGH you should see my lint trap on my dryer lol.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:03 PM

These stories are hilarious! One thing my older cat does that we've learned to live with is she loves to chew on plastic. We have to be really careful about leaving out plastic bags. I don't know why it's so soothing to her

Robin- Were you asking about mine? If so it's called Lotus from Jaybird quilts. It's my current project, making it for a wedding gift in November. My MIL just sent me a walking foot so now I can get started on the quilting!!
Old 10-09-2014, 02:29 AM

I only wish placing items on the ironing board were sufficient to keep my cats off things. They are brother & sister rescue Bombay cats. One of the characteristics of the breed is that they are jumpers, or should I say "leapers." We have an antique armoire that is 7' tall. In the first month, when we couldn't find him, I happened to look up to see his tail casually swishing back & forth as he watched the world from over the edge!
Old 10-09-2014, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
My cat was bad about knocking everything off any surface in my sewing room. He would jump up to my sewing machine and bat the needle as I was sewing. DH installed a screen door going into my sewing room. This kept Puddin out but didn't cut me off like a closed door so he was fine laying next to the screen door watching me.
I have a friend with a number of cats and she has several screen doors in her house that are used for cat control. I thought it was a great idea. Air and light still flow through the door but the cats are contained. It also adds a quaint look to the room.
Old 10-09-2014, 05:14 AM

Call me funny....I don't permit the animals into my sewing room for the reason of all that hair loss. They stop right at the doorway and watch me. Works well
Old 10-09-2014, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by klswift View Post
I gave up and donated a cardboard cutting board to Seamus (he had pretty much trashed it already). When I leave the room, I open it over my table. He will never stay off the table, this just provides a barrier. I plan a whole day of cutting when my daughter is home so she can keep him busy. It is amazing how we tolerate things from our furry kids that we wouldn't have let our human kids do!!
How wonderful! I wish my cat had a consistent stash place. I know he collects things and I found a neat little pile of my jewelry and hair ties under the bed once, but I haven't found another stash since then. I know its out there somewhere. . . .
Old 10-09-2014, 11:28 AM

My kitties are not allowed in the sewing room. Chloe, my 7 year old calico female, eats thread every chance she gets.