Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many? >

How many?

How many?

Old 10-07-2014, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Terri D. View Post
I have nearly all of them (about a dozen). I've given quilts to my husband and two sons, and they appreciate them and treat them with respect.

I gave a wall hanging to my dear friend and she appreciates it as well.

My niece, on the other hand, said aloud after she opened her newborn's baby quilt that it was "so big" (um, the baby isn't going to be eight pounds forever) and that the quilt would be a great picnic blanket. I was hurt that she was going to keep the quilt from the baby.

I haven't given away any quilts since. I have never seen any photos of my niece's baby with his quilt other than the one I took when it was given to him.
Sorry about your niece. I too make baby quilts large enough for babies to grow with them. I have a friend whose sons I made quilts for when they were babies. They are toddlers now and they are always dragging them around building forts and such. It really warms my heart. Hopefully your niece will come around.

I have given away almost all the quilts I have made I only have four in my home, one belongs to my husband. I have made over 60. Most everyone who has gotten a quilt really loves them.

I made one for my Grandma though and she gave it back to me when she moved. She was very impressed by it but never actually used it. It kinda broke my heart, but that quilt has now been adopted by one of my nephews so at least it is getting loved by someone.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:47 PM

We should all be so lucky, getting to replace the ones loved to death. I have only one in my house that I made. All the rest have been given away.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:10 AM

I've made a lot of quilts and quilted wall hangings over the last 20+ years. I've given a lot away and still have a lot in my home.

I've made quilts for my 12 great-nieces and great-nephews. Most of these were whole cloth quilts. I've made a couple for my mom and a couple for my sister. I made one for my brother. I've made some for charity. Some for friends.

The first one I made for my sister was just 12-inch blocks of red prints and hand-tied. Nothing fancy. Her dog claimed it as her own LOL. The dog never acted that way about any blanket before or since. The dog is now getting old and near the end of her life. Not long ago my sister said "when the dog passes away I want to bury her in that quilt." At first I was a bit taken aback and hurt. But then I thought about it and realized it is no longer my quilt. I gave it to my sister to provide comfort for her. If burying it with the dog brings her comfort, then that is what I should do. I am thinking of telling her that if she would like, I could cut the quilt in half so she could bury half with the dog and keep half.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:07 PM

Patpitter, I think your heart grew 5 sizes bigger when you thought of offering to cut the quilt so your sister could keep half. That is the sweetest, kindest, most generous thing you could offer to do, especially when your first reaction was being hurt. What a blessing of growth and love this opportunity has been for your family!!! Hugsssssssssss and smilesssssss!!!
Old 10-08-2014, 06:39 PM

I honestly do not know, a few bed size quilt tops yet to be quoted, but mostly when I make a quilt it is for a gift. I do have a large lap quilt I finsihed for my Mother Dear in our family room. I enjoy making and then gifting to others.

Judy in Phx, AZ
Old 10-08-2014, 08:20 PM

Hmmm .... how many of the quilts I have made our in my home now ..... zero! Whenever my hubby sees me working on a quilt, the first words out of his mouth is who is this one going to. Although, this year I'm working on two bed quilts that will stay at our home. Now, I do have several wall hangings that get displayed.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:04 PM

I have only one throw. I have given everything away. But I have SEVERAL UFO's. I intend to keep most of them if they ever get finished! I need more time off from long arming and farming! But I love to longarm for others. It's so much fun picking designs for Intelliquilter. DH helps with long arming, picking fabric and doing my cutting. I look forward to spending time combining corn for him in return.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:46 AM

I always feel a bit guilty because I quilt for ME...a lot! I have given away about a dozen quilts or more...but I have probably twice that many or more here at home...some of them we use, some we do not. I kind of feel like, this is what keeps me happy and sane so who cares. I could have a worse habit than quilting and hoarding the quilts! At least we'll never go cold...
Old 10-09-2014, 06:46 PM

Hi zyngawf. I'm a words with friends player and a quilter as well. I think I have played WWF with you.
Judymfry
Old 10-09-2014, 07:02 PM
Power Poster

if you're counting wall hangings and tablerunners. about 50. if only quilts, about 20. i've given away about 300. 50 i did in one year (twin size or bigger) for a hospital.