Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice Needed - take the whole quilt apart? >

Advice Needed - take the whole quilt apart?

Advice Needed - take the whole quilt apart?

Old 10-09-2014, 12:40 PM

Thank you all so much for your good advice! I'm going to: see about putting a wider seam in the 1/8" areas, buy some Mountain Mist batting, use featherweight interfacing if I find any spots that need it and otherwise, quilt as is. (She is a wonderful lady and I'm blessed to be her daughter-in-law).
Old 10-09-2014, 01:16 PM
Power Poster

It is after all, her quilt and made the best she could considering her condition. Finish it as is and maybe just repair or reinforce any frayed or open seams. If thy are good then just get it quilted with lots of quilting to help camoflage any "imperfections". IMHO, this quilt has no flaws at all. It was made with all the talent and love that could be given to it and I would love it dearly.

Finish it as is. I hope I make it as far as 90, and can still quilt, even with "flaws".
peace
Old 10-10-2014, 03:37 AM

I can relate...I have macular degeneration too and there isn't enough light in the world for me to see well enough to be really accurate with my quilting now. My daughter does my quilting for me and she has had some headaches with my work. Nevertheless, I continue to do what I can, larger pieces, working in natural light, lots of lamps, magnification to read, etc. Just do the best you can with her quilt an she will be happy, remember she can't see the booboos now.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:13 AM

I just finished a small quilt for my mother who is 93 and has macular, also. Sewing has been her love for a lifetime, and she can't see to do a good job anymore. I still marvel at her artistic talent of putting colors together. I don't really know how she "sees" color, but she sees enough to do some amazing things. I chose a pattern that would be dense enough to catch the seams well enough so it will never fall apart! I found myself thinking of my mom and how much I love her and all the things she has done for me as I slowly quilted her latest quilt. She will never see the loose areas and mismatched seams. It looked so nice when I was finished.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:53 AM
Suz

Please share pictures of the quilt once the quilting is complete. Like others have said here, I hope to quilt all of my remaining days. Once completed, your mil's quilt will be a treasure. Who knows, this may be her last quilt. Treasure it.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:56 AM

I agree with everyone. Quilt it the best you can. She will love it. My Mom has macular degeneration and she is almost blind. She has given me her sewing machine in a beautiful cabinet because she cannot thread a needle or see the fabric colors.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:30 AM

I would leave it be. I have the last piece of crochet work my grandmother did before she failed and later died from Alzheimers. It's a small blue wash cloth- it's crooked all around, but it was made from her hands and I treasure it when I use it. I used to just keep it in a drawer, but it really won't mean anything my children when I'm gone (I'm only 47, but you know what I mean) so I use it, but I'm careful what dishes I wash with it. My grandmother did beautiful crochetting- blankets, pillowcases, hotpads, slippers, ect, ect...

I say repair only what is absolutely necessary and use/ enjoy the heck out of it!! And give your Mother in law a big hug from all of us!!

Last edited by SusanSusan33; 10-10-2014 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by NC Suzi View Post
Thank you all so much for your good advice! I'm going to: see about putting a wider seam in the 1/8" areas, buy some Mountain Mist batting, use featherweight interfacing if I find any spots that need it and otherwise, quilt as is. (She is a wonderful lady and I'm blessed to be her daughter-in-law).
Your follow up note brought tears to my eyes! You are a wonderful Daughter in law, Suzi!!
Old 10-10-2014, 04:55 PM
Power Poster

I agree with feline fanatic and I think that pressing the entire quilt and backing might help flatten out the blocks, you can always just take tiny tucks, narrowing the blocks down to fairly square and lots of quilting would probably help the problem. Since she has macular degeneration, she will love the quilt that you finished for her and not see any flaws. It's nice of you to finish this quilt for her.
Old 10-10-2014, 05:24 PM

That is so sweet of you, you are a great daughter in law, my daughter in law won't bring me a glass of water!