Safety Advice

Old 01-01-2010, 10:04 AM

well I keep a big dog! We actually have 3 dogs so no one comes or goes without us knowing it. Our littlest dog is nicknamed "Cujo"...he thinks he's bad. He's point dog....he barks and growls first...then it would've been Bandit as his backup but we now wait on Tucker to grow up and be the reinforcements. Another 6 months though and he'll be close to being full size. With a growling little dog at your heels and 140lb "back up" dog barking people don't tend to bother things. Tucker at 5 months is the size of a golden so he has a bit of growing to do still but his bark is getting there. I never had a problem when Bandit was alive and doubt that I will when Tucker finishes growing. Most people see the size and hear the bark and head the other way.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:36 AM

Make sure the room you put the lock on has a phone so you can call 9-1-1. Not much good locking yourself in a room if you can't call for help. :)
Old 01-01-2010, 07:02 PM

About the dogs...friends were burglarized and the burglars took meatloaf out of the frig and fed it to the dogs while they robbed the place. They were beagle mix dogs, nothing huge & threatening. Just something to think about.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:45 AM

My little Pekingese, Sammy, would give burglars something to think about all right. He'd lick them to death if they didn't trip over him first while he laid on his back in front of them to get his tummy rubbed. :mrgreen:
Old 01-02-2010, 03:37 AM

My son plays baseball - I keep a baseball bat in the house nearby and a fire poker at the front door. I also keep a baseball bat in the car - very legimate reason, we keep it there for practise.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:37 PM

These are all good idea. I have 2 dogs who are very noisy, but I don't think htey are viscious. I have never let them get close enough to a stangetr to find out. But they will get attention!
Old 01-02-2010, 03:25 PM

when you;r in car always lock you doors day or night,and alway keep a tote with emergency things like a blanket ,flashlight,fresh battery,s and hammer to break glass if you need to
Old 01-02-2010, 07:53 PM

Another one I practice is when I forget to lock my car doors, I always check the back seat before leaving.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:41 AM

What great advice!
I have 2 dogs who just don't want anyone near the house.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:05 PM
Power Poster

Tell children if anyone ever picks them up, or is coming towards them, to start yelling:
"STRANGER!!!"
Otherwise, ppl may assume a child has misbehaved and the parent is just "handling" the situation.
Too many ppl nowadays, do not coach their children about what to do.
My hubby stopped in a toy store, for me, and he saw what appeared to be a three year old, pass a lady and started looking panicked. The lady began to ask the child if it was lost, and hubby, wanting to help, too, followed, and they quickly spotted the frantic mother yelling into a cell phone.
The mother and child grabbed each other and the child began wailing almost hysterically. The mother was so upset by it all, she almost looked at the woman and my husband as if they were, "the bad guys".
So, sensing that they just needed to be alone, he told the mom, "well, you have your boy, and everything is ok, and left."
For him to tell me about it, it must have been a little disturbing to him too. He never tells me anything.
This is a great thread, bc I always lock doors if home alone, and he thinks it's silly. He sat here while I read to him.
He'll listen to y'all.