Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Boy, am I in a pickle!  Need help! >

Boy, am I in a pickle! Need help!

Boy, am I in a pickle! Need help!

Old 10-13-2014, 12:45 PM

I am very sorry this happened to you. I guess I would want pictures showing the damage........just saying. You've used her for years and she's probably on the "up and up" but I'd still want to see. If nothing else, it could help give you closure because this is a large loss with all the effort and time put in. One LAQer I used to bring my quilts to had insurance covering the quilts brought into her house in case of fire, water or other unexpected damage. If nothing else, ask her to check her homeowners insurance policy. From what you described, she is trying to make it right with you. I would definitely figure out approximate yardage used at $12.00+ a yard, the batting, backing and thread. You can't recoup your time unfortunately.

As far as a quick quilt, find something super-simple and yet the fabrics show through. Let us know how this finally gets resolved for you.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:29 PM
Power Poster

I always fall back on a 'Trip around the World' quilt when I need something fast and a queen size is quick in this pattern. It is easier than it looks. It can be stripped pieced in a weekend. Quilting time depends on pattern.

I always use this picture to show the pattern. It uses 8 fabrics at 3/4 of a yard each for the trip part and then your borders.

Keep us posted as to how it goes and I am sorry to hear this happened. Lesson here. Keep your quilts far away from the bleach.

peace
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	turkeys, deer, joans quilt 2-13 019.JPG
Views:	1103
Size:	330.3 KB
ID:	495298  
Old 10-13-2014, 01:57 PM

I was thinking rail fence, the 10 minute block, or for trip around the world E. Burns has a piece in a day method.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:43 AM

MacThayer, I too am sorry for the damage. I admire your graciousness towards the quilter. Perhaps the quilt was in a bag with the bleach leaking into the zipper. My cats tear through the house with the crazies too.
My suggestion is the YBR. It goes together quickly and is forgiving. Best of luck to you.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:59 AM

My favorite stand by!! 9 patch with snowball, this one was for an Aunt but did the same but re[;aced the white with brown for an Uncle. Love, love, love how it turns out and cannot be simpler!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	aa.jpg
Views:	1131
Size:	308.5 KB
ID:	495353   Click image for larger version

Name:	Boots and Polly Quilt.jpg
Views:	1174
Size:	379.2 KB
ID:	495354  
Old 10-14-2014, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
The original BQ by Maple Island Quilts is a super fast pattern as long as you don't use directional fabric. My best results have been using only 3 fabrics. I am not a fast cutter or piecer. I can cut the pattern out in 1 day. Sew all the blocks the second day. Sew the blocks together the third. This is one I made for a BIL.
Very pretty quilt but please, what is BQ? I don't know what this is........or is it a senior moment?
Old 10-14-2014, 04:43 AM

I am in love with Jenny Doan's Disappearing Hour Glass. It is really a Broken Dishes block, but there is an hour glass in the center of it. Use large HST to start, and it would go really fast and look stupendous.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:44 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Dina View Post
What about a double slice layer cake (Missouri Star)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxC-0T5lXw4

It really goes together quickly. I am not too sure it is sophisticated, but my guys sure like this pattern. It starts with a layer cake, but I have done it with just five or six fabrics and that looked really good too.

I am so sorry to hear about your quilt. You were so gracious to not go ballistic when you heard the news. I think I'd want the quilt back also...maybe you can make a smaller quilt or something.

Here is a picture of one of my Double Slice Layer Cake quilts, in case it "rings your chimes."

Dina
The double slice quilt was going to be my suggestion too. Jenny has a tutorial on MSQC site on youtube. One of my favorites. Replay it so you can write down the instructions. It will be possible to finish before Christmas.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by yobrosew View Post
All quilts, when a long armer receives them, should be put into a plastic bag like this http://i01.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/738/5...592738_869.jpg LA can acquire these either by purchasing or buying pillows and getting them for free. The customer does not have to get these; are to use while quilt is in your home or shop. You are very understanding. I use the rule, "There is a 5% human error rate in everything we do" to deal with situations like this. Saves a lot of angst and internalizing and don't have to assess character and judge the person. It is my was of avoiding bitterness creeping in. Hopefully if I ever have to have brain surgery it won't be on the surgeons 5% error rate day! (Actually surgeons training is so intensive a certain element of instict develops and reduces the odds percentage.) Following this rule, I would just have her quilt me one or two quilts in the future for free. And since we need about four new pillows in the house, I would send her the bags and a couple of ones I have from blankets purchased at stores to help her in with future business.
What wonderful advice and way to keep bitterness out. You are so thoughtful!
Old 10-14-2014, 04:59 AM

I would want pictures & have her mail it back to me. Not understanding why it was on floor. Not very responsible for a long arm & quilter. Take the money & find another longarmer.