Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Type of paper used for paper piecing? >

Type of paper used for paper piecing?

Type of paper used for paper piecing?

Old 10-14-2014, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
You don't need anything special.

I have done a LOT of paper piecing.
All I have ever used is the copy paper in my printer.
Yes, just regular copy/printer

If I have it, I prefer to use yellow or pink.
It makes no difference to the PP process.
I just like the way I can "see" it easy enough, amidst any other notes on white papter that might be laying around my work area.
I agree with using copy paper. It is all I have ever used. I bought a tablet of the dollar store paper but because it needs to be cut to proper size, I haven't used it. Just need to be sure your stitches are small enough so makes the tearing out of the paper easier. I use a tweezers to get the last of it.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:44 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by grammasharon View Post
..........Just need to be sure your stitches are small enough so makes the tearing out of the paper easier. I use a tweezers to get the last of it.
I keep my stitches small enough that I rarely ever need to use the tweezers.

For those that have their pieces fall off while working ... painter's tape makes great "band-aids"!!!

The painter's tape won't melt with the heat of an iron ... whereas the regular cello tape is disastrous.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:37 AM

I've used Scribble Pads from the Dollar Tree, there are 40 sheets per pad for $1.00. If you don't do much, that might be best. If you PP a lot, you will want to find it cheaper. Scribble Pads are 9x12, so I have to trim them to fit in my printer tray.

And yes, keep the stitches really small and the paper pulls loose with ease.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:55 AM

I use vellum from the office supply store. It is translucent, tears away and if you cut it in half, it feeds well through the printer.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:16 AM

QuiltE, thanks for heads-up on the painter's tape. Believe me I have had a messy iron when I forgot about the scotch tape!

I have had no luck printing on Carol Doak paper. Never tried vellum.

I am a relative newbie to PP, having flunked Judy N class (major UFO!!!) and only done a tiny Carol Doak. I am doing a Sue Garman now and using the pre-printed on regular copy paper, works fine.

Try a little bigger needle - bigger perforations may make it easier to rip out.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltedCritterLady View Post
I have been really enjoying paper piecing lately too. After making a couple of Neimeyer patterns, I decided to try one without her pattern and paper. I used the thinnest typing/copier paper I could find at Walmart. It was just okay, but I decided there must be something better because I still had to be very careful not to rip stitches. I researched what others had used, and found that newsprint is supposed to tear much easier. I purchased 500 sheets of white newsprint from Amazon for about $10 and that included shipping! The reviewers said that it was the same as those expensive papers you can buy at the quilt shops and at a fraction of the cost. I have not sewn with it yet, but for $10 I figured it was worth a try. If you want to give me a day or so, I will give this a test run and post my results. :-)
I use newsprint too. Got it from our local newspaper office. They throw away the rolls when the roll gets low on paper.
I have also used tracing paper in a pad..
Old 10-14-2014, 07:34 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

A dear friend here on the Board sent me Carol Doak's paper piecing paper and I fell in love with it. When it ran out, I ordered two more. Wasn't too expensive. It went through my printer perfectly and I didn't have to cut it down. That is all I will use for now on. It's made for pp, not too much dough and works really well, so I'll stick to that. I'll go inexpensive somewhere else. I'd rather have it easy to pp than to have to cut down the paper and go shopping in strange stores, trying to find cheap paper. I save enough money using different tricks during my 32 years of sewing. I like to splurge on Carol Doak's paper piecing paper. I'm thankful that they made this paper for pp. Amazing!! Why make sewing any harder?
Old 10-14-2014, 07:38 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SueSew View Post
QuiltE, thanks for heads-up on the painter's tape. Believe me I have had a messy iron when I forgot about the scotch tape! .........
You're Welcome!
The painter's tape comes in handy in so many ways in the sewing room.
Just part of the basic necessities!!!
Old 10-14-2014, 07:39 AM

You can use regular type paper, you just need to go over pattern with a very short stitch without thread before sewing fabric on. This makes it tear easier after, not pulling stitches out. Have fun.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Mdegenhart View Post
I ordered a ream of newsprint from amazon really cheap & it tears easily & feeds through the printer. 8 1/2 x 11.
This is what I use...cheap, tears easily, and feeds through printer great! I got mine from Blick..
http://www.dickblick.com/items/10204-1085/