Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mini and micro leftover fabric trash -  what are you doing with them? >

Mini and micro leftover fabric trash - what are you doing with them?

Mini and micro leftover fabric trash - what are you doing with them?

Old 10-14-2014, 01:45 PM

Default Mini and micro leftover fabric trash - what are you doing with them?

Hello all!
2 weeks ago i was sorting my stash. Still it is not perfect. Still my sewing room is not perfect

But i added a box, where I will start to collect all little fabric leftover I produce. You know, this little pieces that are too small to make something with them. They will be good enough to fill a rag doll that I make every now and then. Or pin cushions ... stuff like this.

Please don't call me stingy. But many things in life cost so much money. And sometimes little things can save a penny. This is my devise, haha

Please, what YOU do with your leftover fabric trash? Maybe one day I realise that i made enough dolls and cushions. I am open for more ideas, because I already see that I maybe need to hurry up, so this trash box will not be overloaded ... like my sewingroom ... haha
Old 10-14-2014, 01:49 PM

I keep an old pillow case by my machine and put the trimmings in that. When it get about half full I add it to my dogs bed
Old 10-14-2014, 02:48 PM

There's a cute footstool called a Morracan Pouf. There's a free pattern online. You could use those scraps to fill it. I've just started collecting the trash. I keep every thing that can be cut and now I'm saving all those little scraps I cut off when trimming. I agree, fabric is so expensive so I try to use every little bit. I have enough good scrap to make dozens of quilts. Some day I will!
Old 10-14-2014, 04:21 PM

I have friends that give me theirs too! I stuff dog beds for a local dog rescue. They give out a bed when they adopt out a dog to a new home. One more stop on the way to the dump! I am like you..I PAID for those scraps! I am SUCH a dog person-makes me happy to know that a doggie has a nice soft bed in a new home.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:26 PM
Power Poster

My mother was a knitter. She used to take bits of yarn and hang them on the pine trees for the birds to use in their nests. I'm not sure how you would "offer" fabric to them though.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:36 PM
Power Poster

I keep them in a small trash can and when that is full I stuff it in a thrift store pillowcase sew the end up and give to the animal shelter.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:29 PM

That are great idea, making something good for dogs. Also this birdy help is great. I like that!
Thanks
Old 10-14-2014, 11:24 PM

I know of these as snippets quilts, but I see when I tried to find a link that that word is now used for fusible applique quilting.
Oh well.

The quilts I know of are made from little pockets, maybe 4 x 4 " or 6 x 3", and they're stuffed with the threads and snipped off bits of fabric that collect when we sew. The little pockets are simply half filled and the ends tucked in and stitched down. When you have a couple of dozen or so, stitch them togther. Makes a neat tidy quilt using stuff that would otherwise go to the bin.
You can also make them by folding over a length of fabric and stitching lines down it to create a row of pockets. Once filled the whole row is sealed at together. it's a quick way if you have loads of snippets to use up.

Since the snippets are basically scrap quilts the pockets can be made from anything, from old teatowels to polycotton pillowcases and sheeting that's still sound.....like the sides of fitted sheets. I make them using up the offcuts from dressmaking.

They make comfortable play mats for children, good pads for garden furniture, great for cats and dogs to curl up on too.

I sew a bundle of the little pockets and keep a couple beside my sewing machine. When I cut threads they end up in a wooden bowl that I keep beside me on the table. When it gets full-ish, I stuff the snippets and stitch them closed. It's surprising how quickly you can make a bag load of the little pillows, especially if you knit too and end up with wool ends to mix in with the sewing snippets too.

My last one keeps a basketmaking friend warm

M

Last edited by Macra; 10-14-2014 at 11:30 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 05:18 AM

I stuff all my "micro" scraps and small batting scraps into a bin, when the bin gets full I sew up a bag and stuff it and give it to my animals as a bed. We have 3 dogs and 2 cats and they love those stuffy bags. Last one I did had a cat laying on it before I even stitched it shut, LOL.

So far I've filled 2 and am probably just about ready to do a 3rd. They're a real pain to wash though, they take FOREVER to dry. I think I'm going to have to start doing outer covers.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:25 AM

Use as fill for confetti embroidery blocks and cover with tulle for a neat embroidery block.