2014 Fabric Moratorium

Old 10-11-2014, 12:48 PM

I too fell off the wagon this year. But now that I am almost settled into new sewing room and have unboxed all but a few totes of fabric. Downsizing sure makes the stash look overwhelming. Instead of buying pillow form inserts at $10 a pop, I used up some white fabric and reused a zipper from an insert that was too small. I also used the stuffing to do the insert and added more polyfil from the stash. So now to make 3 more of these then I will post some pictures.
Old 10-11-2014, 08:29 PM

although i have been on and off the wagon all year I did a good thing today. My husband took a hugh pay cut at the first of the year and have gone through all the savings we had to make it to this point in the year. We were broke and it is a long weekend so I got out a bunch of the fabric I had stashed and put it on craigs list In about 30 min I had someone who wanted to come take a look when she got here She took what i had for sale and paid me well then told me next time not to put it on craigslist just call her she lives about 45 miles to the nearest place to buy good fabric and would take all i wanted to sell now she has more fabric for her stash and we have money for the long weekend that we dont have to pay back and it will also get us through till the next payday. So i feel better about how much fabric i have
Old 10-13-2014, 06:11 PM

bezzie, heart warming and heart felt. Hope things turn around for you.

I think we've all done pretty darn good this year.
After piecing together the UFO blocks I had with the new fabric I bought, I had enough for boarders and had 3/4 of a yard left. Good deal don't ya think?
I've been pulling fleece and flannel and putting them together to make lap quilts for Christmas. It's a wonderful feeling to be able to use the fabric that has been taking up so much space! So far I've enough for 12 of them! There's a lot of grand kids in this family. I'm not finished yet and much to my dismay my machine decided to be sick. It's being cared for at the dealership. I'm glad I extended the warranty! I'm going to borrow my mom's little machine to stitch these things together.
I'm looking at Bonnie Hunters Mystery..if I do this one there is definitely a shopping trip ahead and a fall of that darn wagon!
Old 10-14-2014, 04:30 PM

After the last day or two of unpacking, sorting and repacking some items, I am finally moved into the new sewing room. So it is time to put on the moratorium cloak again. Must sew, sew, sew and not buy any more until spring. Why spring?
Because that is when I hope to get to Lancaster. But until then...make do with what I have!
Old 10-14-2014, 05:24 PM

Well, so far it has been 278 days since I bought any fabric. I have inherited fabric from two different quilt friends, but have bought none. I made a New Years resolution not to buy any fabric for a full year, so as you all are getting ready to start shopping again on November 2, I will still be avoiding the fabric stores, (and Walmart fabric department) until January 1. Sounds like I have all kinds of will power ( or won't power) but really I have enough fabric now to send each and everyone of you a piece and still be able to make bed sized quilts....two cabinets, two book shelves, two big dressers and three upper cupboards from a remodeled kitchen, and still have 7 boxes of inherited fabric in the dining room in need of a place to live. I am afraid that if I buy anymore, my face will end up on the new season of "Hoarders"! Lol!

{Just so you all don't think this was in any way easy, I want you to know that sitting in a corner sucking my thumb instead of fabric shopping has made a horrible mess of my thumb, my hands shake, I feel attacked every time a new issue of Keepsake Quilting catalog comes in, and the worst part is I can't even complain that I might run out of fabric!}
Old 10-15-2014, 05:02 AM

Starting the new moratorium I am going to keep a running inventory. My stash is too big to actually come up with a starting number for the yardage but I want to keep a tally for amount used and the added amount. Yes I might as well be honest, I would have to reside in a cage to never buy anything. I know I have used far more yardage this year then I bought, thanks to this moratorium, because there is a lot more space on the shelves than there was at the beginning of the year.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:42 PM
Power Poster

MadameKelly, you are to be commended! You should treat yourself to a manicure to see if you can get that thumb looking good for the holidays, just make sure you pick a salon that's not right next door to your LQS. I love your avatar! I have my pattern, but just can't seem to get around to creating her.
Emma, I'd be afraid to quantify my fabric collection. I don't want to know how many bins I have. I'm just going to go with 'I have a LOT of fabric...'
Old 10-15-2014, 08:59 PM

Madamekelly, I am really amazed...278 days! Congratulations are in order big time.
And yes, I too, do not really want to know how much fabric I have...I must agree with 'I have a LOT of fabric...'
I don't think I could really not buy any more but I've sure given it a heck of a good try this year. It's been way less than previous years.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:34 PM
Power Poster

There is some great resolve being presented here. (Unfortunately not from me.) No, I have not purchased any fabric but I really want to. I have not looked at the last 3 issues of my fabric catalogs which is really depressing. Maybe I should start sucking my thumb too. (Might dip it into some caramel first though.) Lately I have been working exclusively out of my scrap bins and I am not making a dent.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:14 PM
Power Poster

I so understand, MadQuilter. It's like suffering a caffeine withdrawal headache! So lucky we have someone like Madamekelly to inspire us. Back to the scraps.....