Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Buying Ruler Assortment >

Buying Ruler Assortment

Buying Ruler Assortment

Old 10-17-2014, 05:38 PM

Also, the rotating mat for squaring blocks I use all the time.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:17 AM

I started out with the 6 1/2 x 12 inch and the 6 1/2 x 24 inch rulers. They were my "most used" rulers. Later I moved to the 8 1/2 x 12 and 8 1/2 x 24 inch rulers. I gave my 6 1/2 inch rulers to the local quilt guild and now 8 1/2 inch rulers are my "Most used" rulers. They give me 2 1/2 inches more to help square up my cuts and I think that helps a lot.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:18 AM

As basics, get a 6" by 12" and either a 6" X 24" or a 6.5" X 24".............Then I would look at getting the TriRecs rulers ( 2 sold in a single set) - the companion angle and easy angle ruler........with these basic ones, you can make strips, and cut perfect triangles that do not need to be "trimmed up"........far less fabric wasted.......much more accurate result...........I also like Deb Tucker's sets of rulers......but those are like dessert - nice to have and use, but not really needed as you start out..........
Old 10-18-2014, 06:22 AM
Power Poster

6x24 is a must. Square up ruler and flying geese ( I love Quilt in a day for the flying geese)
Old 10-18-2014, 09:13 AM

6 x 24 and 12.5 x 12.5 are really the only ones I use. I own a couple more, but I consider them a waste of money since I never touch them. The 1 x 6 is especially annoying cause its in with my scissors, pens and pencils so I see it all the time, but I never reach for it for fine trimming at the ironing board which is where I thought I would use it.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by HomekeepingGran View Post
As you probably realize, I am a novice quilter and my tool array is quite small. While I am not quite ready to buy yet, I am wondering what basic rulers ought I to get. I don't necessarily mean which brands but more what shapes of rulers should I look for to own a decent, simple assortment of hard-working, and hopefully multi-tasking, rulers? The ones to make it an easier task to cut your everyday shapes. I don't feel as though I must have every specialty ruler out there, just the basics, please. What shapes can you just not do without?
After purchasing an extensive selection of rulers I am considering purchasing a Studio fabric cutter. It makes me sick to think of my investment in rulers and don't know if I can justify the Studio. So look into the Accuquilt cutters before investing a lot in rulers. That said my favorite ruler is my June Tailor Shape Cut, slotted ruler.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:22 AM

Gotta have the 8 1/2" x 24" ruler...works for so many things. Cindy Williams new 45degree ruler...you can private message me for contact information. And a 24x6 1/2" rotary ruler...can find online...pricey but worth it for ease of strip cutting.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:50 AM
Power Poster

For basic rulers, I would recommend a 6" x 24" ruler and a 6" x 24" to begin. I use my 12 1/2" square ruler all the time to square up blocks, cut wider strips of fabric (example, when I am making 8 pointed star blocks, I will cut a strip of fabric 7" wide, then subcut the 6 1/2" squares from that for the number of blocks you are making, after cutting those, I cut 3 1/2" strips, as this saves fabric). I also use my 6 1/2" square ruler to square up smaller blocks. Those are the rulers I would recommend, as I use them repeatedly in my quilting. After that I would suggest buying rulers as you need them for your quilting.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:56 AM

My favorite ruler is a Creative Grids 2.5" x 6.5" ruler. It gets used as much as any other ruler I have. I had been looking for one to purchase for a backup, mine was misplaced for 6 months. We went to quilt show the end of August and a vendor had them for $7, I bought two (so now I have a backup for my backup), I have paid $8.95 - $9.95 for one. Almost everyone in my guild has purchased this ruler after borrowing mine to use, it is that useful.
Old 10-19-2014, 03:07 AM

Do you have an "easy angle" I love it for cutting triangles from strips. No math... and one "dog ear" is cut off.