Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Desert Sky, Twisted Triangles, Passport and more >

Desert Sky, Twisted Triangles, Passport and more

Desert Sky, Twisted Triangles, Passport and more

Old 10-16-2014, 01:45 PM

Thank you for all the kind replies. I appreciate it more than you know.

I have had several PM's asking for the pattern for the first quilt, (bricks with black sashing).

Board member GingerK made up the pattern. Following are her instructions:

It is 7x2 inch pieces separated by 1 inch black sashing and then 1/4 inch (or so, I think it ended up being more like 3/8") black sashing between rows. In this case it was all about colour placement. I had 5 shades of 6 colours--30 different fabrics. Keeping it all straight was a bit challenging at times!

How I did it: I decided on the length of my 'brick' plus 1/2 inch. I cut that measurement across the width of the fabric. I then sewed an 1 1/2 inch strip of black to it and then sub-cut to the width I wanted.

The layout IS vertical. On the first row, you lay your bricks with the 'mortar' (the black sashing) on the bottom. On the next row, you lay the bricks with the mortar on the top. Because I had a distinct colour placement, I ended up first graphing the colours and then laying everything out on my dining room floor and THEN pinning each row, brick by brick by brick, and walking each row to my sewing machine.

Once I had the vertical rows sewed, I sewed a 3/4 inch (or so, I think it ended up being a wee bit wider) to one side of the first row. When I sewed the next row to it, I made sure that I sewed in the OPPOSITE direction. That kept the vertical strips from getting skewed--what happens when you sew all the seams in the same direction. It was easy to remember--just keep the black on the top. BTW I did cut the black from the length of the fabric, which made it very stable. I also cut it to the proper length and took the time to mark the distances where each piece of sashing should be. Again, I wanted everything as square as possible--with 30 different kinds of fabric, some are going to stretch more than others and I did not want to deal with that!!

Finally, I put a 4 inch border of black all the way around--again cut from the length of the fabric.

Elise
Old 10-16-2014, 02:50 PM

Nice items and cosmos too
Old 10-16-2014, 04:37 PM

They're beautiful pieces.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by joysewer View Post
Beautiful projects and kitty!
Ditto. They are all gorgeous!
Old 10-17-2014, 04:52 PM

All of your items are beautiful!
Old 10-18-2014, 03:28 AM

What an amazing eye your have for color! Your quilts are stunning!
Old 10-18-2014, 04:27 AM

Talented and smart you are.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:48 PM

With all the comments - by now, you've figured out that chair is fabulous! Please tell us what you mean by ...."I wrapped a quilt around an Ikea chair...." How did you make it stay. Can someone sit on it? Or does it fall down into a glorious mess as soon as they get up? Have you used bungee cords...what did you do to make it stay?
Old 10-20-2014, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by dollycaswell View Post
With all the comments - by now, you've figured out that chair is fabulous! Please tell us what you mean by ...."I wrapped a quilt around an Ikea chair...." How did you make it stay. Can someone sit on it? Or does it fall down into a glorious mess as soon as they get up? Have you used bungee cords...what did you do to make it stay?
Several years ago I bought a chair and chair pad from IKEA. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/pr...93/#/S59887511 It looked boring.

I made a regular quilt. You can see it in this old post. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t192475.html

I removed the chair pad from the chair frame, (they are sold separately). I took the quilt and folded it around the chair pad. I did not attach the quilt in any way to the chair pad. When I put the chair pad back on the chair frame, the chair frame held the quilt in place. I sit in the chair frequently and the quilt stays in place. It was such an easy project.

I hope this is clear, if not I can try to take some more pictures of it. Let me know.

Elise

Last edited by Elise1; 10-20-2014 at 03:21 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:41 PM

Love your quilts and especially your official inspector!