Another Scam Alert

Old 10-24-2014, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by mrs. fitz View Post
I don't know if this is a scam or just a company trolling for business. Yesterday I received a bill from Publishers Billing Association for a one-year subscription to a major NY newspaper for $1099.95. No that wasn't a typo. For my convenience I can pay in two installments of $549.98. I don't subscribe to this paper. Every morning I go downstairs to the store in our building and buy the paper I want. I don't know how or where they got my name. The statement said it can be for a new or renewal subscription. Nothing I can add except be very careful.
I got one from a quilting magazine that I don't get. The cost per issue was around 17.00. It looked like what you described. Crazy. What are they thinking, with prices that high.
Old 10-25-2014, 03:45 AM

I received one yesterday. It was tempting to open, but I deleted. I wasn't expecting anything from abroad. It's sad that we have to be so skeptical.
Old 10-25-2014, 05:48 AM

If you go to the Federal Trade Commission website where you can find out how to report this to them. I forward the email after filling out a question aire. They don't respond but do keep track of the numbers of scams from that address. In the last week I have received 5 emails from the same site. I had placed an order for fabric and the next day got an email telling me that their courier couldn't make a delivery. One day delivery was too soon. They even had my order number in the subject line! How did they get that? I notified the fabric site but have not heard back. I did not download the supposed adress label.
Old 10-25-2014, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by beehaven View Post
If you go to the Federal Trade Commission website where you can find out how to report this to them. I forward the email after filling out a question aire. They don't respond but do keep track of the numbers of scams from that address. In the last week I have received 5 emails from the same site. I had placed an order for fabric and the next day got an email telling me that their courier couldn't make a delivery. One day delivery was too soon. They even had my order number in the subject line! How did they get that? I notified the fabric site but have not heard back. I did not download the supposed adress label.
I wish I had known about the FTC website before I deleted the messages. Do you have a link for future reference?
Old 10-25-2014, 08:56 AM
Power Poster

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0038-spam

I googled ftc and this is one of their pages.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:23 AM

Yesterday I received a letter in the mail that was notice of renewal from a major newspaper in our area. The bill was for $799 that was payable in 2 easy installments. I showed it to my husband and he asked "Why are YOU getting that paper?" I told him it was a scram and said "They sure do make it look real". We always have to be on your toes.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:03 PM
Power Poster

My husband has worked with computers since he entered the Air Force many, many years ago, when he got out he became a computer engineer and software engineer. He has always told me that if I do not recognize the sender on any e-mail to not open it and quickly delete it. It's frustrating, like the recent rash of credit cards being hacked, the first time we used a credit card at Target, the account got hacked. It's not only frustrating, but I get angry when people would rather hack credit cards than get a real job. The first time we were lucky, the second time whoever hacked us charged over $500 to our account, fortunately we were able to get it removed, but the damage was done and we had to get new credit cards, a pain in the neck.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:59 AM

Last week one of my friends in facebook was hacked, she p.m. me and told me she had won $250,000 in a Facebook Sweepstakes, and saw my name on the list - I went along with it and got all the info I could.,inc. the name of the fake website to claim it. I checked with said person and my name was on the list ,but had to have$1200 in 4 hours or my name would come off the list.When my friend got home from work,I notified her and sent her the info. Facebook caught them and is prosecuting them ! So many crooks out in our world today! Glad when they are caught.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by MargeD View Post
It's frustrating, like the recent rash of credit cards being hacked, the first time we used a credit card at Target, the account got hacked. It's not only frustrating, but I get angry when people would rather hack credit cards than get a real job. The first time we were lucky, the second time whoever hacked us charged over $500 to our account, fortunately we were able to get it removed, but the damage was done and we had to get new credit cards, a pain in the neck.
YES! And this type of fraud has been increasing lately. Several major retailers have been hit recently, and some of them are doing their best to keep it out of the news. Home Depot recently had a massive breach as well.

Credit cards are changing though; I think by the end of next year most US credit cards are going to have EMV chips in them. These chips were adopted overseas a long time ago but the US has been slow to join in. These chips are MUCH harder to forge and should cut back on in-person card fraud immensely. (This is where they clone your card - shockingly easy to do; can build a machine with parts from Ebay and all they have to do is get one swipe of your card and they can reproduce it. Then go shopping! The EMV chips will stop that.) Merchants will need to upgrade their terminals too, so that's part of why it's going so slowly. Check with your card issuer and see what their plans are for issuing EMV cards - some issuers are offering them now. (Sometimes also called "Chip and PIN" cards or "Chip and Signature" cards)

The EMV chips will NOT help with internet fraud, though. But any improvement at this point is a good thing if you ask me! I've had my main card reissued THREE TIMES this year due to data compromises!
Old 10-29-2014, 06:16 AM

I know Wal-Mart already has the new card readers. I've seen them in a couple of other places too.