Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
asking for basic help with 12" windmill block >

asking for basic help with 12" windmill block

asking for basic help with 12" windmill block

Old 10-26-2014, 07:11 AM

Question asking for basic help with 12" windmill block

Hey there - happy Sunday!

Adam here again, with another block assembly question that just shows how little I know! I am assembling my first "windmill" four-patch 12" block for my sampler. If you look at the pictures, you'll see my basic arrangement for each of the 4 units.
Question: I need a basic primer/tutorial/how-to on determining where to begin sewing what pieces together - which to do first, etc.

Now, I did get the information verbally in my evening class weeks ago, but I need more than just that one shot to remember!!

Here's the pics - and any feedback is welcome!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1180963.JPG
Views:	565
Size:	209.1 KB
ID:	496623   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1180965.JPG
Views:	541
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	496624  
Old 10-26-2014, 07:13 AM

Oh well, didn't mean to double-post my pics - I just made some sort of mistake.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:20 AM
Power Poster

You need to sew the green triangle to the cream triangle and then sew the rose triangle to the other side of the green triangle. This will make a flying geese unit that is a rectangle.
The next step would be to sew the rose square to the cream square to make another rectangle. Sew those 2 rectangles together to form a square which will be 1/4 of the block. Sew the other 3 1/4 in the same manner. Assemble the block by sewing the 4 quarters together. That is the way I would do it but others might have a different idea.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:22 AM

Tartan's way is exactly how I would do it too.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:52 AM

yes what Tartan said.

A word of caution though. All three of your triangles have bias edges. You will be sewing two bias edges together - the two edges of the green triangle to each edge of the rose and cream triangle.

Bias edges STRETCH.

You can do a few things to stabilize those edges.

Heavy starch (and I do mean HEAVY and STIFF)
Paper or some other tear away stabilizer.

Because the pieces are already cut I would opt for a paper stabilizer. If you were to starch them now and iron them I could almost guarantee they will skew under the dampness from the starch and the iron.
Old 10-26-2014, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
yes what Tartan said.

A word of caution though. All three of your triangles have bias edges. You will be sewing two bias edges together - the two edges of the green triangle to each edge of the rose and cream triangle.

Bias edges STRETCH.

You can do a few things to stabilize those edges.

Heavy starch (and I do mean HEAVY and STIFF)
Paper or some other tear away stabilizer.

Because the pieces are already cut I would opt for a paper stabilizer. If you were to starch them now and iron them I could almost guarantee they will skew under the dampness from the starch and the iron.
Sue,

thanks a bunch for your reminder about bias edges - had I the time, resources, and more time, (I think there's a pattern here!) I would have been reminded BEFORE I committed to my fabric cutting and avoided that completely. Live and learn!

I understand the stabilizer technique - although, brand new baby quilter/sewist here, I have only read about it. As I proceed forward with my learning, I will put these ideas into practice. For now, I am just getting the pieces done best as I can - my job and real life stuff currently "deletes" whatever time I might have for my hobbies.

Every tip or helpful hint is very much appreciated!

Adam
Old 10-26-2014, 08:27 AM

If you have trouble with stretching at this point...pin pin pin and you should be OK. I like the pattern and the fabrics. Keep us updated.
Old 10-26-2014, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by GrammaNan View Post
If you have trouble with stretching at this point...pin pin pin and you should be OK. I like the pattern and the fabrics. Keep us updated.
Thanks for the reality check GN - yea, I get the idea on pinning to keep stuff aligned - again, this is just a "basic training" sampler - I do NOT have the time I wish I had to truly do justice to the art and craft of quilting.

One day I will look back at this year in particular and say to myself, "wow. That was quite a year."

Adam
Old 10-26-2014, 09:18 AM
Power Poster

I too agree to start making your flying geese uint then add the rest. Be careful with bias edges, they are NOT your friend. This is the old fashion pinwheel block that I am familiar with.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pinwheerl.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	496643  
Old 10-26-2014, 09:41 AM

And, by the way, the double post of pictures is a current Quilt Board issue - everyone's photos are showing up that way - you did nothing wrong! Best of luck with your block/quilt ...